Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Sounds like everyone is doing great post-op, whoo Smile

Did you guys have restrictions pre-surgery?  As of this friday, I am to stop all other medications other than my thyroid meds - no pain killers, no supplements, etc.  I also can't go to the dentist.  I am ok with that restriction.  lol

Prince of Fatness

Did you guys have restrictions pre-surgery?  As of this friday, I am to stop all other medications other than my thyroid meds - no pain killers, no supplements, etc.  I also can't go to the dentist.  I am ok with that restriction.  lol

Yup.  I was allowed to take my blood pressure medicine and that was it.  No NSAIDs, vitamins, aspirin, etc., for a week prior to surgery.  I also had to get this special soap and scrub with that the night before and the day of surgery.  I forget the name of it but it comes in a blue container.  Reduces risk of infection I am thinking.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was supposed to stop NSAIDs a week before.  And I was given the icky special soap too.  That stuff burned!

So I started adding in some resistance to my bike rides.  That was super exciting for me.  I am back at work full time now - ugh!  My boss came in this morning and was like, "So are you all better now?"        Yep, gonna go run a marathon tomorrow, boss.  No problem.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Interesting, no soap for me (well, no one has said anything yet) but I have to stop meds for two weeks ahead of time.

dallison

registered pw

this

Interesting, no soap for me (well, no one has said anything yet) but I have to stop meds for two weeks ahead of time.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hey guys

Just wanted to pop in since I'm still sittin around waiting until the end of the month to see the labrum guy.   I really THINK my stress fracture is healing well.  I haven't felt anything at all in about a week, aside from an occasional really minor tightness, but that's become rare.  Obviously I'm not running and I decided to cut out cycling until the fracture is 100% since I felt I had a set back from some exercise biking a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm writing this more so I can later look back and recall there was no pain at this point, in case the doc asks. I'm still hoping it's all the stress fracture and the labrum proves to be so minor I can sneak by with strengthening voodoo I keep hearing about.  Time will tell.

Glad to hear everyone else seems to be recovering well!  It's great to read what you guys post.  Calms my nerves a bit.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I just walked almost 2 miles!    And it felt fine!  Almost normal even.  I had PT this afternoon and they gave me the green light to "walk for exercise."  My gait still isn't perfect (feels only very slightly off), but I'm reasonably sure I look like I normal person walking down the street now.

Dave, it's good to hear that you think you're healing well from your stress fracture.  It'll be really interesting to see what happens during your appt. with Dr. Kelly.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I just walked almost 2 miles!    And it felt fine!  Almost normal even.

Nice.  So this about 6 weeks right?  Hopefully I will be doing something like this by Memorial Day.

At least today we had a crappy rainy day so I did not need to lament about not being able to do anything.  I have been taking it real easy on my hip.  I am sure that there are a few things that I could be doing, but would rather err on the side of caution.  First PT appointment is Thursday.  I plan to come home with a list of stuff that I can do at home each day.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yes, six weeks and 1 day, officially.

How are you feeling now?  Bored?  I basically didn't do anything that first week.  Just laid/sat around.

Edit: I found another interesting blog from a runner who had both hips done: http://www.captainapplesauce.com/fai/righthip.php

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Yes, six weeks and 1 day, officially.

How are you feeling now?  Bored?  I basically didn't do anything that first week.  Just laid/sat around.

Edit: I found another interesting blog from a runner who had both hips done: http://www.captainapplesauce.com/fai/righthip.php

I pretty much read that whole blog a month or so ago!   Was interesting to hear how his experience was different between the two surgeries.

And congrats on the walking!

Prince of Fatness

Boredom is the worst of it.  That and having to have things done for me. I have noticed that I am moving around better each day. Part of that might be from getting a system down with the crutches, but even after only five days I feel noticeably better physically. Pain is not bothering me much at all.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I pretty much read that whole blog a month or so ago!   Was interesting to hear how his experience was different between the two surgeries.

And congrats on the walking!

Thank you!

Did you see that that dude walked a half marathon at week 12?!  That seems...excessive.  And here I was worried about being able to hike this summer.

MTA: And then there's this person, who ran a marathon at 6 months post-op, although they admit it was kind of a stupid idea.    http://faitomarathon.blogspot.com/

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Thank you!

Did you see that that dude walked a half marathon at week 12?!  That seems...excessive.  And here I was worried about being able to hike this summer.

MTA: And then there's this person, who ran a marathon at 6 months post-op, although they admit it was kind of a stupid idea.    http://faitomarathon.blogspot.com/

dallison

registered pw

I now have PT scheduled starting Monday. I had my stitches removed today, i like this progress thing.

I will have to admit, i really have been cheating for the past 5 days or so. I went on an 8 mile slow bike ride on Sunday. It was probably 30 minutes of light pedaling as my wife ran. 90% was level and easy.

Most of the time i am using my crutches on stairs, but this weekend i was pretty active washing the car and whatnot.

When i am out and about i will use my crutches.

I have been able to sleep on my operated hip side. I also have pretty decent strength walking around, granted it has only been 2 weeks.

They took x-rays and all looks normal and no inflammation.

I do wear my brace most of the day though and use the crutches on longer walks between things. Driving has been pretty good. I have been getting in and out of the car pretty well.

I have not needed aleve or anything since the day or so after surgery.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Great progress dallison!  Keep it up!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team