Running with your Sweetie (Read 480 times)

Agreed. I was dating a guy who was at the finish line of an event I was running. He was too busy chatting with other runners to even notice I was finishing. His brother was there, took note I was coming in, and starting cheering loudly for me. I noticed the brother looked over and was trying to get his attention to let him know I was finishing. It didn't matter. He still didn't pay any attention.  Needless to say, that relationship didn't work out for a number of reasons.

Showing you care makes a lot of difference.

One more thing:  If you do choose to race it yourself, you'll be there at the finish line to be his biggest cheerleader.  Make lots of noise for him!!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

SillyC

Have to agree with others to talk about it beforehand.  Neither plan is right or wrong, but you can't assume what your partner expects without saying something beforehand.

Agreed. I was dating a guy who was at the finish line of an event I was running. He was too busy chatting with other runners to even notice I was finishing. His brother was there, took note I was coming in, and starting cheering loudly for me. I noticed the brother looked over and was trying to get his attention to let him know I was finishing. It didn't matter. He still didn't pay any attention.  Needless to say, that relationship didn't work out for a number of reasons.

Showing you care makes a lot of difference.

I was hoping you were going to have the 'made for TV movie' portion where you ended out marrying the brother. Smile

To the OP, I'd run your own race, and make certain that you both see running as a lifestyle, not a race.  Enjoy the races, but embrace the culture of activity within your relationship.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

One more thing:  If you do choose to race it yourself, you'll be there at the finish line to be his biggest cheerleader.  Make lots of noise for him!!

Or, you could run back on the course to join him, and talk the whole way in about how easy it is for you to run some more and how good your time was.  Show him who wears the running shorts in the family.

...but seriously, this reminds me of my brother-and-sister-in-law.  They are crazy competitive - with each other, and with anyone else.  As in, they don't allow board games in the house.  So, when they started running, they did a great job of discussing it beforehand, and for their first half, I believe they ended up separating and running their own race.  For their first marathon, which I paced them for, they stuck together (I was able to dart ahead every once in awhile and get some good pictures).  Both times ended with no fights or negativity, at least as far as I know.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Agree with talking about it prior to the race but also think about what you want to get out of running or why you run.

I my situation I run much faster than my soul-mate but running is just 'time together'.  When she walks - I walk - when she runs I run - when she stops - I make her move forward.  Running is just another way to hang-out with my best friend and share what little time we have together - Life is Short - would rather have slower miles with her than waiting alone at the finish for her.

Anyway - just my 2 cents.

delicate flower

It's a race.  Kick his ass.  Celebrate together after.

DW and I do some training runs together.  On race day though, we run our own races.  I am much faster than her.  She doesn't want to think she is holding me back, and I don't want to think she is pushing herself too hard to keep up with me.  If she ever beats me in a race, that will be a great day and I will be ecstatic.  And I will never hear the end of it.

When we do training runs together (like tomorrow), we plan them a few days in advance and I treat them as my recovery/shakeout runs.

<3

diane_77

So, here's what happened.  Chicked him!  With his blessing even!  I've got a cooler husband than I thought!  I even sprinted at the end to a new PR!  And now the icing on the cake, he's looking forward to running more races with me!  When I ran through the finish line, I waited for him off to the side and cheered him in, giving him a big kiss when he reached me!  Happy ending (beginning).

Thanks to everyone for the advice!! Big grin

Awesome!  Great job to both of you.  Cheers!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

some call me Tim

That's marvelous - thanks for the feelgood report Smile

Sounds perfect! Congrats on a great run and PR!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's great to hear, Diane!  Several victories for you two!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

So, here's what happened.  Chicked him!  With his blessing even!  I've got a cooler husband than I thought!  I even sprinted at the end to a new PR!  And now the icing on the cake, he's looking forward to running more races with me!  When I ran through the finish line, I waited for him off to the side and cheered him in, giving him a big kiss when he reached me!  Happy ending (beginning).

Thanks to everyone for the advice!! Big grin

Eww, sweat-kiss!  Wink

But otherwise: awwwww!  Big grin

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations to you and your sweetie, diane!

steph  

Slo

So, here's what happened.  Chicked him!  

Nice job!

PGTTECH

I just finished a race yesterday where my wife was running/walking her first 5K (she did crew in HS 11 years ago and has not run a race of any kind in her life).  We both came in (charity event) saying we knew we were competitive people but it has been a long time with only 10 weeks training, the level of competition was very low (23:00 won the 5k overall), so we would suppress our urge to be uber-competitive and have fun.

We discussed it ahead of time.  She had no problem with me going out with the lead group and leaving her behind.  She understood the importance of finishing, especially the first time, is solely a mental battle.  She had her music with her and monitored her heart rate and tried to find a buddy from one of the other run/walkers.  We set a realistic goal for her of <50:00 run/walk.  I suggested she concentrated on running the flats and walking the uphills/downhills (3x350+ ft elevations) to avoid banging on her joints.

I finished and immediately got back into my warm ups and grabbed some water just as she went by the start/finish for her last mile (part of the course repeated).  I jumped in and ran/walked the end with her though I think she may have made it on her own.  I got DQ'd from my 3rd overall finish, but I could care less.  We said we were there to get a baseline of where we were and have fun and finish with no injuries.  She made her goal and was very appreciative of the support.  Her having fun may mean we get to do more in the future rather than a bad first experience and quit.  Happy wife = happy life.  It made it more fun for me overall to see her have fun as a couple than for me to be able to brag I finished 3rd at some charity event with a time like that.

I'm not saying you will have the same opportunity to catch up and finish with them, but make an attempt to be somewhere on the course cheering them.  Remember where it sucked in between miles 2-3 when you were really hurting before seeing the finish and there was no one else around watching.  Be there and be really loud/supportive.  There are always bigger fish in the sea.