Coloring of Workout Quality (Read 445 times)

The shirtless wonder

I was reading this post from the Science of Running blog and I, of course, thought of RA.  The post has a simple idea -- color coding the results of workouts.  Perhaps green for good and maybe red for bad (though that might just serve to irritate the color blind).  When you see a pattern of too many bad workouts you have to make a change in your training.  Color coding makes this easy and obvious.

RA already has a quality field that would seem to be appropriate for this sort of thing. 

jeffdonahue

You could already do that in your charts - just change it so instead of having workout types that are "tempo", "interval", etc.... change them so that you have "crappy workout", "good workout", "awesome run" etc...

I am thinking I might incorporate this and start using the notes section more so maybe I might see a pattern as to why workouts suck - but then again, sometimes you just have a run of bad days for no reason.

The shirtless wonder

True but then I wouldn't be able to see if I had a series of crappy tempo runs.

Eric made some mentions of possibly adding tags.  This could be implemented using tags too.

jeffdonahue

I was thinking of that - maybe you could use dark red for good easy runs and light pink for crappy easy runs, dark blue for good tempo, light blue for crappy tempo runs.

Just a thought on this to try to do it with what we have.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Perhaps the bars could be outlined in a different color...or have a pattern overlayed, or something.  Frowny faces for craptacular runs.  Like the Mr. Yuck dude. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

Perhaps the bars could be outlined in a different color...or have a pattern overlayed, or something.  Frowny faces for craptacular runs.  Like the Mr. Yuck dude. 

I like the idea of the patterned overlay if it could be done.

I think that most of what we'd need is actually already implemented in the interface...the only piece missing is the graph.

We already have a quality and effort level we can assign to workouts.  If we could create a graph or have a new graph option that could be put on our summary pages that just graphed how many stars we gave each workout then we wouldn't even have to change the interface for entering workouts.  If you wanted to see type and quality, just put the graphs top to bottom for each other.

Great idea, I had actually thought about the after reading Steve's post the other day, although I'd not even though of doing it through the log and instead just highlighting my calendar. (I still keep a paper calendar on my desk for my daily weigh-in.)

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)