Weight loss for runners (Read 1441 times)

I get the whole calories in, calories out thing, but I think there's a different balance to maintain when your calories out differ so much from day to day.

I'd like to lose about 10lb, why I have it in the first place is a predictable trap I seem to fall into after I finish a marathon.  It's a boring story.

In the middle of last year I went to a personal trainer and she had me eat 1400-1500 calories a day.  At the time I was training for a half, so I think I was at 35 miles per week running.  It took the full six weeks of her program for me to lose 4lb, and I lost it all in the final week (also lost 8% bodyfat).

Ideally, my miles need to be higher than where they are, I'm a couple of weeks into training for my next marathon, but I'm at least trying to get to 50 miles per week, even better would be in the upper 60's.  My point is that that is more calories out.

A few months ago I ran 10 on a Friday, 15 on a Saturday and attempted a 13 on a Sunday but only made it 9 (urge to puke/faint, I never did determine which was the one to go for).  There's a fine line between eating enough calories to get through your run and eating the right amount to shift your weight down, so this is really what I'm asking. 

Last week I ran just under 50mi and ate 1700 calories per day and I gained weight.  (I have started doing light weights at least a few times a week).

Maybe something as simple as a couple of hundred calories before my run could get me through.  Typically I postpone my run on the second day if I have to do two 10+ one after another, so that I've eaten a couple of meals before I go out. 

Try getting some calories during or immediately after your run? Of course if you're trying to lose weight then you need a calorie deficit, but if you're burning lots of carbs and not replacing them you won't feel good and won't want/be able to run as much. It's a good time to get some sugars on board. A bit of fuel at this time should help to prevent you feeling ravenous later, and help your muscles to recover well.

TripleBock

My weight can go up or down 10 pounds in a day or 2 from only hydration ~ Looking at a week as a good indicator of the results of the hard work of that week is very short sighted.

Last week I ran just under 50mi and ate 1700 calories per day and I gained weight.  (I have started doing light weights at least a few times a week).

Maybe something as simple as a couple of hundred calories before my run could get me through.  Typically I postpone my run on the second day if I have to do two 10+ one after another, so that I've eaten a couple of meals before I go out. 

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I take measurements too and I found an inch loss in that week even though I had gained weight.

My point is that I'm trying to avoid following a program for 6 weeks only to not lose weight because I ate too few calories and slowed my metabolism, or ate too many.  I understand everyone is different and there's no magic number, which is why I was seeking advice from those who have had similar issues. 

Have you seen this?  Guideline of a weight goal for runners.

http://www.runinthesun.com/Correct-weight-for-runners.asp

I didn't see a date on there, although it looks dated.

I'm not surprised with the recommendation it gave me, it's on the low end of those weight charts.  I haven't been that weight since I was 24, although at 24 I ate a lot better. 

Emeliefree

You could follow a good program, I can recommend http://weightlossjenna.com/the-diet-solution-program-review/ 

It learned me everything I need to know about eating properly, lots of good tips, tricks do's and dont's. Just a tip, stay fast!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://runitfast.com/2012/01/18/what-ive-learned-in-3-years-of-running/
                Turbolegs

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

My weight can go up or down 10 pounds in a day or 2 from only hydration ~ Looking at a week as a good indicator of the results of the hard work of that week is very short sighted.

+1

Tuesday morning I was 224, this morning I was 218. I weigh the most on Mondays and am my lightest on Saturday morning.

If you've been hitting it hard lately, your body could easily be retaining  extra water to aid in healing.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I'd like to lose about 10lb, why I have it in the first place is a predictable trap I seem to fall into after I finish a marathon.  It's a boring story.

A few months ago I ran 10 on a Friday, 15 on a Saturday and attempted a 13 on a Sunday but only made it 9 (urge to puke/faint, I never did determine which was the one to go for).  There's a fine line between eating enough calories to get through your run and eating the right amount to shift your weight down, so this is really what I'm asking. 

Sounds like a bonk due to not eating enough.  It's a good idea to eat enough immediately after a run to replace at least half, if not 2/3 the calories you just burned.  Better to eat enough to run well and be healthy and a few pounds over your ideal weight than to bonk.  It's especially important to eat during your taper. 

When your calories per week and miles per week are somewhat consistent, any weight gain/loss in a week will be minimal.  What you see on the scale is hydration level changes. 

DoppleBock

Not the end of the world to Bonk occassionally - I would be more worried about carrying too large of a calorie deficeit for too long a period of time.  Also when you are looking to carry a deficiet the type of calories even become more important.

I a pretty luck and cursed - My body is completely fair at any calorie level - I would suggest targeting at least "Break"even calorie level without running.  For me that break-even is @ 2,400 calories per day (200+ pounds).  If you want to be running more - Maybe target 2,000 per day - But make sure you make the really work for you.  Easy to digest carbs / protein / fat imediately after running -  I like a 4/2/1 gram ratio ~ 200-400 calories depending on the length of run. 

1% chocolate milk works well, ensure, slimfast all work also.

Like I said - Be ready that if you are going to try and run 50-60 MPW and lose weight you will bonk sometimes - If it is an important run = long or speed work ~ make sure you have a bit more calories the day before.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

Tuesday morning I was 224, this morning I was 118.

Do you still have all the limbs that you started the week with?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Do you still have all the limbs that you started the week with?

Haha, I must have added an extra thumb or two.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life