My Incredible Shrinking Feet (Read 94 times)

Lane

I wore size 11 shoes until a couple years ago when I started wearing Mizuno Wave Riders which were too big in size 11 so I dropped down to size 10.5.  This weekend I needed another pair but the store didn't have 10.5's, only 10's and 11's.  I figured I might as well try them on and the 10's fit.

I can only conclude that one or more of the following is true:

- My feet are shrinking

- Mizunos are running larger and larger

I can't think of anything that I've done that would have changed my feet - I haven't gotten shorter or lost any weight.  Any thoughts?  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Shoe sizing between brands and within brands is random.  Very annoying.

steph  

onefatchick

I've actually gone up in shoe size.  I started with a women's Nike Pegasus size 9.5.  When I purchased my recent pair (pretty much the same shoe) this past fall I told the running shoe store owner that I was beginning to smash my one toe that is next to the big toe.  He asked if I had increased daily mileage or distance of the long run; which I had.  He suggested I go to the next half size up to allow for increased swelling during runs.  The 9.5 still fit perfectly, but the 10 gave me just a bit more wiggle room that is hardly noticeable--I don't think I would have noticed had I not been told it was 1/2 size larger.  I wonder if you were fitted a little large in the beginning by someone who was allowing for swelling?  Or maybe you've changed sock style/thickness or they were threadbare when you fitted to the smaller size?

runmichigan

A lot depends on when you get fitted for your shoes.  Throughout the day your feet will swell some and spread out due to having to bear your weight.  This is similar to the swelling and expansion of your feet during a longer run.  This is why you will often hear the recommendation to get fitted for your running shoes late in the day or in the evenings because this swelling can make up to a 1/2 size difference.

The other thing that you will run into is that shoe sizes are definitely not consistent from brand to brand and may not be consistent between models from the same brand.  I always found that Nikes and Asics ran small when compared to my regular street shoes.  I wear an 8.5 in street shoes and had to go up to a 9.5 in Nikes and Asics.  For the Mizunos I wear now I comfortably wear a 9, so they are not as small, though I have noticed some variation when I go from the Wave Inspire 9 to the Wave Inspire 10 to the Wave Inspire 11.

I would just be sure to try on the shoes before you purchase them and make sure the pair fits.  I would not be too concerned with variations in the size as long as they fit.

onefatchick

Shoe sizing between brands and within brands is random.  Very annoying.

Same with women's jeans.  I hate having to try on every single pair of the exact same size/style to find the one pair that fits right.