12 mile runs (Read 1141 times)

I went for a 12 mile run in 22 degrees and 60 mph winds and 3 days later i ran 12 miles in 12 degrees and snow. And i did it w/our best miler and our best xc runner. We were scared to death that we would soon be running from a tornado. But it was one of my favorite runs. Now that i think of it i've had pretty bad luck w/running weather, last yr during track we ran confrances on a water logged track and we had to stretch on the bus it was so rainy. Then this yr during xc we ran a race litteraly in a swamp and regionals was worse (hail, huge winds (the tornado alarm went off) rain and snow, the ground turned completey brown) it was rediculous. But at least now i've gotten the worst weather over with.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that's hardcore! And brrrrr..... 12 miles is a long run under the best conditions. I have a feeling I won't be doing much more than 10 again until after the worst of Winter is over. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Truly amazing! Now I can't have any more excuses for not running, you know, the usual ones, temps are below 40F, it's drizzling, it's cloudy... Wink Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Finished!

omg, you've really had a rough time of the running weather! I think I'd be sunk if I had to contend with bad weather during training - I seem to be hooked, but I'm blessed to live somewhere where it rarely rains Wink Well done with the long runs!
          Walk + Jog = wog.
          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I can relate! Yesterday I ran 14 miles and the wind chill here in Boston was in the single digits. My camelback hose froze (I thawed it out inside my shirt). Runs like that make me really thankful for my softshell. Before I had it I could never find a comfortable way to dress for cold winds without overheating or freezing.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              OMG here I am in England whinging that its about to hit freezing which we call zero, of course we use centigrade so we can say that but I just worked it out in Farenheit and that 32 so you guys have something else. Well done and I am NEVER going to complain abou the cold again!!
              "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
                last week we ran a 10 or 11 mile run when the temp. was in single digits and it was snowing pretty hard so it was hard to see where we were going for a while and it always seemed like it was blowing in our faces. By the end of it my hair had frozen which was pretty cool.
                vicentefrijole

By the end of it my hair had frozen which was pretty cool.
                  I used to run with a guy who had a dark brown beard.. but in the Wisconsin winter, the condensation from his breath, sweat, etc would frost up his beard so he looked like an old man.. really funny. Big grin
                    I used to run with a guy who had a dark brown beard.. but in the Wisconsin winter, the condensation from his breath, sweat, etc would frost up his beard so he looked like an old man.. really funny. Big grin
                    Reminds me of the last couple times DH and i ran outside! My eyelashes kept icing up on the ends and to "unstick" them, I had to keep opening my eyes really wide! What a trip that is!! Big grin
                      My girlfriend took this picture of me a couple weeks ago after I got done with a run in driving snow Big grin