Does an RRCA National Championships draw more runners? (Read 383 times)

Ham & Egger

Hi, I'm new to the site and have yet to meet folks here. I'm one of the tired, hungry masses from CR. Anyhow, I'm talking with my coach about possibly finding a good, solid 5k race at the start of May. I noticed that the Flying Pig 5k has been assigned the RRCA Nats this upcoming year, and I'm just curious if this kind of distinction brings out more runners. I'm looking to try to run mid 16s this go around, and am hoping to find a well-attended race that I would be around other runners who might bring out my best performance. I'm driving from AL and I need it to be w/ a half day or so's drive, and would prefer not to run a race in the furnace that's the South. Any thoughts mucho appreciated.
    www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
      I'm curious about this as well since I live here. I did the 10k before pacing the marathon last year and thought I might jump in the 5k this year and see if I can get pulled to a fast time. I was going to try and look up the RRCA Nat'l Champs time from 2007 but only found some regional results.

Ham & Egger

I'm curious about this as well since I live here. I did the 10k before pacing the marathon last year and thought I might jump in the 5k this year and see if I can get pulled to a fast time. I was going to try and look up the RRCA Nat'l Champs time from 2007 but only found some regional results.
        Chris, The past few years, it was the Debbie 5k in West Virginia, and there were some really stout times: the winner ran about 14 flat, and there were aobut 30-40 runners who ran below 16. Now, if that kind of competition comes out, I'd be thrilled to give it a real go. I posted this question over Letsrun and someone mentioned that the RRCA National Convention is being held the same weekend as the 5k and 10k. Might be worth dropping them a line and seeing what they're expecting for turnout. I have a feeling either way--10k or 5k--I'll be there. It's just choosing the right race.
          The 10k is not too competitive - I got 6th last year with a 36:49 and the first 2 guys were well clear of us. The 5k isn't a big one either, but the fact it's the RRCA champs will make it more significant. Stick around and run one of the Sun races (half, full or relay) just for fun. Make the trip fully worthwhile because the entire weekend is great. Rates go up Jan 31st!

Ham & Egger

The 10k is not too competitive - I got 6th last year with a 36:49 and the first 2 guys were well clear of us. The 5k isn't a big one either, but the fact it's the RRCA champs will make it more significant. Stick around and run one of the Sun races (half, full or relay) just for fun. Make the trip fully worthwhile because the entire weekend is great. Rates go up Jan 31st!
            Well, maybe there will be more runnners at the 5k this year. I know that the 10k had 1000 runners or so, though I'm hoping to be in low 35 shape if I do the 10k. If I go the 5k route, I'm just hoping they'll be some runners trying to break into mid to high 16s--I suppose I'll see...