The Long Run...Questions??????? (Read 1099 times)

Long runs are all about time on your feet and a slow pace is the order of the day. It's perfectly normal to get butterfly's before a long run, we all do. If you don't then you need to add a few miles to make sure it's more challenging. Occasional walking is fine but if you need to do it a lot, you are probably running at too fast a pace of trying to run too far for your level of conditioning. Typically the recreational runner should limit their long runs to around 30% of their total weekly mileage. Pace is very important in the long run but the challenge is keeping it slow enough. It should be 1 1/2 to 2 minutes/mile below your 10K pace. Too fast and won't get the fat burning workout of the long run and you'll be at a higher risk of injury. Tips for a newbie: 1) Keep your pace slow. 2) Use body glide if you are going more than 10-15 miles, especially if it's hot or raining. 3) Dehydration is your biggest enemy on the long run. Stash sealed bottles of water and sports drink along your route the night before. I alternate between a liter of each every 5 miles. Also, if you run in the morning there are lots of lawn sprinklers in use, never pass up the opportunity to run through one. 4) Did I mention how important it is to keep your pace slow? Tom
      Just to finish this off...I ran my 10 miles. I went 8.5 miles before I had to walk and in all probaly walked about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. I targeted 12:00 minute mile pace but started out slower at about 12:30 for the first 5 miles. I stopped paying attention to pace between mile 5-8 and just listened to my MP-3 and put one foot in front of the other. After mile 8 I finally looked down at my watch b/c I was beginning to really feel weak and realized I was now well below 12:00 mm paceat around 11:45. Luckily, I had some water stashed at mile 8 and grabbed it and began drinking and running. After the water was gone I just stopped and began to walk hoping the hydration would hit and I could begin to run again. I finally felt like I could finish with 1mile to go, all though it was very slow. I finished with 12:18 mm pace. I was satisfied I made it through, but I have to say the last 2 miles were HARD. Oh it was 94 degrees and no shade...the sun was unrelenting. I think even with the hydration on miles 5 and 8 that I was close to facing some ill-effects. I got chills as soon as I got done...Got to my car and drank the LifeWater I had in a cooler and immediately felt better. Thanks for all the advice...I will hit that mileage again next week...for now I am off to the pool with my 2 sons.
      2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
        First, just let me say I am sold on the long run theory. But I have a few questions. 1) Do you ever get nervous about new mileage (got my 1st 10 miler this weekend)? 2) How much walking is permitted before you realize your goal was too much? 3) On new mileage do you even worry about pace or just find that "cruise control" and go? 4) Any other tips and advice for a newbie to the "long run"?
        1. Yes 2. I take scheduled walk breaks and always have. I walk every mile in my long runs. Helps me recover faster. I also run longer (HM and marathon) races like that 3. I train by my heart rate so I do what my heart says to do. I never worry about pace. 4. Bring plenty of fluids and make sure youre taking in some form of calories.
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          For those long runs in our heat you've really got to get out there early. Most of my long runs in the summer are started at the crack of dawn and when we get to July and August I'll start them before the sun is up. My goal for tomorrow's 12 is to be out the door no later than 5:30 AM. Congratulations on getting your 10 miles in.

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks for all the advice...I will hit that mileage again next week...for now I am off to the pool with my 2 sons.
            Ben, my experience was just about opposite to yours. I ran a 9mile unsupported (no water or food) a month ago so I figured today's 10 miler would be okay. Then I decided that since I felt so good, I would run 11, not 10. Recipe for disaster. Needless to say, I'm going to prepare a little better next time. Glad to hear yours went so well, even with the high temps!

http://xkcd.com/621/

A Saucy Wench

Oh it was 94 degrees and no shade...the sun was unrelenting.
              I seriously dont think I could run 10 miles in those conditions. Awesome job. Watch out for the heat though, try to avoid it if at all possible.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I will try and run earlier next week, but the heat is BAD from now through September...100+ degrees and 95%+ humidity is just around the corner here in MS. For those of us born and raised in it...well, we get used to it. For me running in below freezing weather seems extreme. The 2 hour swim with the boys felt GREAT and Refreshing...
                2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

TRIing to beat the heat!

I'm a relative newbie to the long run... with my longest runs being 8 miles. Hence, take this with a grain of salt: 1) Do you ever get nervous about new mileage (got my 1st 10 miler this weekend)? Not really. The mileage doesn't scare me, it's the weather that usually makes me worry. It's so hot and humid where I live and the last thing that I want to do is a long run on a treadmill! 2) How much walking is permitted before you realize your goal was too much? I'm not sure here. I've never taken a walk break. However, I would take one if need be and I know that many folks do. 3) On new mileage do you even worry about pace or just find that "cruise control" and go? I do check my pace and make sure that I'm going two to three minutes slower than my 5K pace. This usually carries me through whatever mileage I have planned. I've noticed that on long runs my legs end up feeling fatigued before my CV system does. 4) Any other tips and advice for a newbie to the "long run"? Adequate hydration (I either strap a hydration pack to my waist or strategically place a bottle along my route); some GU or other gel for once you get past that 45-minute mark.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Carps10

1) yes...you never know how your body will respond to a new stimulus 2) i never walk or even consider walking 3) i try to make sure I'm not more than 2:30 off 5k pace 4) don't run in the heat. get up early, grab a piece of toast, take a swig of water, and go.