Sub 3 How many miles per week? (Read 2499 times)

Not back to a sub 3.  I'm running 70mpw, up from 40-50 last season.  I better run sub 3 or I'll be sad (current PR is 3:08).  Though, in my pursuit to run a marathon a month this year, that might not happen from fatigue. 

fwiw, and back on topic, granted I'm quite a bit older than you, but it wasn't until I did two cycles of 70+ MPW did I break 3. It took solid training from a wise coach (but not crazy training), and a near perfect day/weather for it all to finally come together.

My point is, don't be sad if you don't break 3. There are some things outside of your control. That's what makes racing (the key being going for a PR and not just to finish) a marathon so challenging -- you don't get too many cracks/year to make another attempt. Stuff may happen that you have no control over. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm a data analyst, I often find myself correcting colleagues (lightheartedly) about the plurality of the word.  When I was in gradschool, my professors seemed think it was important to burn that into our heads (probably to be contentious!).

A datum analyst would be a much easier job, right?

Thanks for putting this on the agendum.

(modified to linkify)

ultramarathon/triathlete

A datum analyst would be a much easier job, right?

Thanks for putting this on the agendum.

(modified to linkify)

Might be a short job!  

Or maybe it would be trying to figure out 42. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

I wasn't going by UK English; I was going by the reasons given. In the US, saying "data are" is certainly the exception to common practice, not the rule. Here's another source, written by the editor of the journal American Speech if you are interested. (I think that your professors were more interested in being snooty than in being correct; a common problem in academia!)

From my experience in Canadian academia, "data are" is definitely the norm.  Saying that the "data is" suggests that the speaker doesn't do English good. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Why is it sideways?

From my experience in Canadian academia, "data are" is definitely the norm.  Saying that the "data is" suggests that the speaker doesn't do English good. 

Well, maybe I was wrong, or maybe this is a difference between academic field and ordinary language. I should let this go, and probably I am just digging a deeper hole for myself, BUT I wasn't saying "the data is" in the post in question -- I was saying that (the meaning of the concept) data is, which is a different use.

Well, maybe I was wrong, or maybe this is a difference between academic field and ordinary language. I should let this go, and probably I am just digging a deeper hole for myself, BUT I wasn't saying "the data is" in the post in question -- I was saying that (the meaning of the concept) data is, which is a different use.

Fair enough, my man.  The data are what they are, and I'm in no position to tell anyone how to use them.  Smile

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Why is it sideways?

Fair enough, my man.  The data are what they are, and I'm in no position to tell anyone how to use them.  Smile

Well played, well played.

I'm a data analyst, I often find myself correcting colleagues (lightheartedly) about the plurality of the word.  When I was in gradschool, my professors seemed think it was important to burn that into our heads (probably to be contentious!). 

What, an analyst of the (plural) data not using the correct plural genitive, datorum analyst?

O tempora!  O mores!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What, an analyst of the (plural) data not using the correct plural genitive, datorum analyst?

O tempora!  O mores!

I laughed.

The mores temporum, they are a'changin.

Also, link to o tempora o mores by the raven's master.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Adam_runbyfeel

and this pertains to running sub 3 how? 

Save it for the Strunk & White forum.

Evil

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I laughed.

The mores temporum, they are a'changin.

Also, link to o tempora o mores by the raven's master.

Flat A Mores,

First, Smile

Second, does your suddenly becoming "flat" relate to this in any way?

Netizen Kane

OP - there is no right answer IMHO. Some people can never do sub3, some lucky Kenyan guys could spend all year in bars and watching Gerry springer and still hammer a marathon. As prior posters said, do what you can see where it takes you. One last thing, I've followed a few marathon plans in the past, Pfizt was good, wardlaw good too but hard, and now bakken. The bakken plan has fairly low volume, but higher intensity, perhaps better for those with limited time. When I've done London in a month I can be more objective as to what gets results.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...some lucky Kenyan guys could spend all year in bars and watching Gerry springer and still hammer a marathon...

Is this the THURD training plan?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.