Quick Course Map Question (Read 67 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Here is the course map for the marathon I'm running Saturday.

I've never run an "out-and-back" marathon before.  I think I've got the layout pretty well, where I'll turn around and what miles those will be at (mental note to self: I need to write the approximate mileage for each turnaround on my arm before the race).

To what are the arrows labeled "1st Out/Back" and "2nd Out/Back" pointing?  Are they just illustrating that "hey, this general area right here is where you're going out and back the first time, and the second time, you go a little farther for this part right here?"

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Latent Runner

Wow, nearly a 350' drop over the first mile, then F-L-A-A-A-A-T for the next 25+ miles.

Your questions:

• Q: To what are the arrows labeled "1st Out/Back" and "2nd Out/Back" pointing?
      • A: Looks to me like the map is mis-marked.  The spot which says "1st Out/Back" should in fact say, "1st & 2nd Out/Back".

• Q:  Are they just illustrating that "hey, this general area right here is where you're going out and back the first time, and the second time, you go a little farther for this part right here?"
      • A: Yes.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      JustinCanCook

Here is the course map for the marathon I'm running Saturday.

I've never run an "out-and-back" marathon before.  I think I've got the layout pretty well, where I'll turn around and what miles those will be at (mental note to self: I need to write the approximate mileage for each turnaround on my arm before the race).

To what are the arrows labeled "1st Out/Back" and "2nd Out/Back" pointing?  Are they just illustrating that "hey, this general area right here is where you're going out and back the first time, and the second time, you go a little farther for this part right here?"

As a good a post as any to make my first contribution to the forum...

I think the "1st Out/Back" is actually pointing to the thinly dotted line and the "2nd Out/Back" is pointing to the dashed line. It seems like the first out/back goes just shy of the finish line, then you take the second half of the course along the dashed line.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Wow, nearly a 350' drop over the first mile, then F-L-A-A-A-A-T for the next 25+ miles.

I know, right?  Smile

Gonna cut both ways, though.  As someone pointed out in another thread where I brought this up, with hills, you end up using different muscle groups over the course of the race, meaning some get to rest while the others take over.  Flat course, same muscles the whole way.

I guess I'll find out Saturday morning!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

As a good a post as any to make my first contribution to the forum...

I think the "1st Out/Back" is actually pointing to the thinly dotted line and the "2nd Out/Back" is pointing to the dashed line. It seems like the first out/back goes just shy of the finish line, then you take the second half of the course along the dashed line.

Welcome to the forums!

And...I believe you're right...good eye!

On On

not sure where the 2nd turn around will be exactly.

It appears it is at the finish line but mathematically it would have to be about .1 miles before it for the other mile markers to continue to line up.

The course shows you running through mile 13 to the finish then turning around and going past mile marker 13 again. But mile marker 14 is exactly even with mile marker 12.  ??????

Look at the turnaround points. First outback doesn't go quite as far as 2nd outback = 3rd turnaround (the far turnaround of the 2nd out/back) is beyond the 1st turnaround. The 2nd turnaround - as you're coming back from the first out/back -is near the finish, which avoids that initial hill.

So two very flat out-backs. Enjoy!

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog