My 2nd Marathon in 3 weeks? (Read 126 times)

ckerr1999

I am running my 2nd marathon in 3 weeks. I was going to do one more week of hard training, however decided to start my taper. I have been averaging 40+ miles a week, so plan on cutting back to 30 miles this week and 20 miles next week. Does this sound like a good strategy?

During my race what would be a wise time to target. Last year I ran 4:09. This year I would like to run 3:30 but that might be pushing it a bit too much. Maybe targeting 3:40 or 3:45 would be better?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks

GinnyinPA

Have you done any recent races (i.e. HM)?  Last year's time won't tell you how fit you are this year.  Only a recent race can give you an idea of your current fitness.

Arimathea

Tessa

Were you using a training plan? If yes, follow the plan. If not, certainly start tapering off.

There is no way anyone can tell you sight unseen what pace you should be aiming for. There are a good many variables that go into determining target pace. What pace have you been running your long runs at?

3:30 is an average pace of 8:04 or thereabouts. Can you sustain that for 26.2 miles? Your previous 4:09 was an average pace of 9:30 or so. That's quite a bit of difference.

I would suggest you look at what you have been achieving, how you feel, what the predicted conditions are (especially weather), and consider what pace you might be able to sustain for the full marathon distance. Good luck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, I agree with the others - 3:30 is a huge jump from 4:09.  Your log doesn't show a half or 10K at that pace.  So, try a more modest goal - there's no shame in that; you can be proud of any improvement you make on a marathon.  Good luck!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A casual glance suggests you've running your tempos at 8-8:15, and your long runs at 9Tight lippedx.

I've certainly not looked enough, but that does sound like 3:30 might be a bit ambitious.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.