Cool Down? (Read 638 times)

Hey folks, So I'm doing the infamous Couch to 5K plan and I'm wondering what the appropriate cool down time is for a 2 mile jog/run is? (I'm in week 5 starting tomorrow). Kimmer
    My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it's a YMMV type of thing, but I usually walk a few blocks after each run, then stretch once I get in the house, drink some water, that sort of thing. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Uh, YMMV? Smile Kimmer
        My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't know of any rules on how long you should jog or walk after the run. It's more of a preference thing. After my runs, I walk for about a block and then spend 10 minutes stretching.
            I like to continue to move until I stop perspiring and my pulse slows to within 10% of my average moving-around pulse. The "perspiration meter" is only good if you are in a climate hot enough to perspire. Here in South Florida, I'm sweating bullets by the end of my meager 2-mile run. Tongue My version of the "Couch to 5K" is called "50 Next Month and Still Want to Eat and Drink Like I Did When I Was 30". To increase strength/stamina before increasing time/distance, I have been running up and down the stairs to my home (20 up and 20 down) 10 times after each run. While training for my one and only marathon in 1994, I injured a hamstring doing bleachers, so I am approaching this routine cautiously- lots of stretching and I started at 5 up-and-downs and added one trip every other day. I'm holding at ten for now. By the time the weather cools, I should be in shape to increase my time/distance.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Uh, YMMV? Smile Kimmer
              Big grin Your mileage may vary. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No matter how many miles I put in for any particular run, I always cool down with 5 minutes of walking and then some leg stretches.