What Size Bike Do I Need (Read 922 times)

flatfootruns

Male, 5'9"..pants i wear have a 30" inseam ...looking into a beginner's cyclo cross bike for periods of over use pain in my r/knee, and other stuff of course...LoL...thanks...scott

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Depends upon the brand and the bike and what feels right to you.  I'm 5'3.5" with a 30" inseam and ride a 44cm Redline.  My guess is something like a 52-54.  Most people take 1 size down from what they'd ride on a road bike (my road bike is a 48 Cannondale, but in other brands I'd likely take a 50-51, 'cause Cannondale has wonky sizing), due to the higher tire clearance issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

My 15-year-antiquated knowledge would guess a 54 or 56.  Someone who actually knows bikes well can correct me.

IMHO if you are a beginner I would go to a good shop and get fitted.  Trying to ride an ill-fitted bike really stinks.  Don't ask how I know.

MTA:  See, I didn't even get my post up and someone did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, I really love my Redline (it's a Conquest...nothing fancy, but probably my favorite bike and it fits me like it was designed for me).  If my rugrat eventually inherits it I'd likely look at another one.  Someday I'd like disc brakes on a CX bike...on all of my bikes, to be honest.  Eventually things will start moving that direction.  I saw today that Cannondale is planning to start building road bikes with discs for the 2015 model year, so in 2 years.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

IMHO if you are a beginner I would go to a good shop and get fitted.  Trying to ride an ill-fitted bike really stinks.  Don't ask how I know.

BTDT...rode a 1-size-too-big mountain bike for a while that made me hate riding...instant pain and numbness in my, um, special place.  Too small isn't good, though, either.  I currently have a mountain bike that is 1 size too small, since we got a killer deal on an overstock so that I could see if I at least like riding off-road (I do).  We knew if I didn't like it that DS would fit it soon enough...and now he does.  I'm soon in the market for a mountain bike, but we'll still buy from a shop, even though I have a reasonably good idea what size I need--it's still a good idea to have an experienced fitter confirm this.  Too big is harder to control and will force you to lean too far forward and onto your special place.  Too small will likely lead to back unhappiness--this is what I am finding with the mountain bike I've been on (and I'm borrowing a friend's bike while DS rides mine...that one is smaller yet and really makes my middle back pissed after just a few miles).

Even the right size will still need to be adjusted for you, perhaps with a longer or shorter stem, a stem with the right angle for you, and proper saddle height and fore/aft placement will make your knees a LOT happier.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Even the right size will still need to be adjusted for you, perhaps with a longer or shorter stem, a stem with the right angle for you, and proper saddle height and fore/aft placement will make your knees a LOT happier.

Exactly why I'd go to a good shop where they can do all of this for you.  It's not trivial if you don't know how to do it.  Don't ask how I know.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Male, 5'9"..pants i wear have a 30" inseam ...looking into a beginner's cyclo cross bike for periods of over use pain in my r/knee, and other stuff of course...LoL...thanks...scott

I am the same measurements (well I'm 5'8.5") and I ride a 52". It will depend on what the manufacturer makes though. I ride a Cannondale and they make 50-52-54... So I had to be more specific with which size I picked. If you decide on a bike you want, get the one closest to 52". Some companies for instance make 47-51-55, in which case you would want the 51. It's a good idea to get fitted if you can but don't worry if you can't. Once you pick the bike you want, search forums to see what sizes worked for people also riding that bike. But expect to be very close to a 52. Cheers-

5'8" inseam about 30" also. I ride a 54cm Felt F15 road bike and a 52cm Felt B2 TT bike. Sometimes I think I would be happier on a 52cm road bike as I am a little stretched out on it but that also makes me a little more areo. 

I never had a fit done and bought both of my bikes used. If you buy new, the shop should fit you to something they have. If you buy used, look for something around 54cm and take them for a ride. 

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

flatfootruns

Thanks for the info...I'm actually looking online for one...i guess i should find out who sells CX bikes around here and check it out...Enjoy...