my first marathon---St. Jude Do's & Dont's (Read 590 times)

ok so I have accomplished another goal on my to do list.... 1. Do a TRI(Done-have done several) 2. Do a Half Ironman(done May 2006) 3. Do a Marathon( Done Dec 1, 2007) Ok.. so I'm not the best runner, I do more of a light jog. But I can walk with the best of them. I did the training program, but know I need to kick it up a notch for my next one. I'm going to loose some more weight so I can run longer and stronger. The first part of the race was good. Felt comfortable and was able to keep the 14 min pace according to my polar watch. Stayed that way from 3-18, with only one bathroom break at McD's... Got to the split and noticed nobody ahead of me, and no one behind me. So I kept moving. Marker 18 grabbed some water and powerade (which was glad of having) it was 67 degrees at least... in Memphis for Dec. Heading towards mile 19 a lovely police officer comes and let's me know that I'm moving to slow and that I'll have to resume the rest of the race on the sidewalk.. and off he goes. So I travel some more, and then the race director at mile 20 gives me a map and says that no support will be offered.. Great... so here I am with 6.2 more miles to go and I have no fluids. I stop at a gas station (b/c I'm getting dehydrated) and they were nice enough to give me a bottled water. I keep going, drinking small sips b/c I'm afraid to run out... I'm done at mile 23 with the water. I remember seeing a gas station at mile 25 from when I did the first half... so I run in and they are nice and give me a large glass of the cold water. At this point I'm so thirsty that I can't even feel my throat being wet... This has to be a bad sign. I then leave and push my little blistered feet and run the rest of it... So lesson learned. Finsih line at 7 hours and 9 mins.... 1. Take fluid for second half of race 2. Take cell phone in case of emergency 3. DO NOT QUIT.... I'm ready to train next year for another one....
    va

That last 6.2 miles must have been a bit scary. Way to stick with it, and congrats on your first marathon!!!
        Congrats on running your first!!! How your legs feeling now? I hope to do a tri sometime! Tinman version though.

Vim

Good job finishing your first marathon! Congrats!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congratulations on finishing your first marathon and sticking it out despite not having support! That takes a lot of courage! Smile Now you know what to expect so next one will be easier. Cool
              My legs are feeling well, I'm still walking strange... like I can't put one foot in front of the other.. Similar to when kids learn to walk. The blisters are going down, and I'm hoping to get to the gym tomorrow for weights, and some light cardio....
              btb1490

Congrats on your first of what will hopefully be many more!
                  I'm still walking strange... like I can't put one foot in front of the other.. Similar to when kids learn to walk.
                  I remember this well. Walking like a penguin, about to fall down, feet and legs kinda flapping around down there on their own accord...Don't worry - it's the badge of honor for what you accomplished! Good job finishing. Just remembeer you are one of the few in the world who has now completed one! What an awesome accomplishment and way to stick with it!!
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an amazing accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself!
                    GP160

Awesome that you finished...that is what counts!
                      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Another Passion

Great job and way to stick with it to the end!! Wink

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com