Can you run/walk a marathon with limited training (Read 928 times)

fitnesstrainer

A friend of mine signed up for a marathon and then got injured. Months have past with no running just limited stretching and resistance but no cardio. She has been back running about four weeks, her longest run has been alomst 10 miles. I assumed that she would swallow the enty fee and DNS the marathon but she told me that she was going to run as much as she could and walk the rest. She seems to think that for lack of a better phrase that walking a marathon will be a walk in the park. It seems very foolish to me for her to attempt the marathon with a lingering injury and almost no training. I have never walked a marathon so I cannot say how difficult it is. Anyone ever attempt such a feat?
    va

You should mention to your friend that most marathons have a time limit, usually between 6 an 7 hours.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Two years ago I went into the SF marathon after coming of a lapse in training and was in no shape to participate in the race. Being the type A that I am, I did not want to eat my fee and felt like I had quit. I ran/walked the first 16 miles, then limped the remaining 11. I was cramped, feet hurt, and it was NOT fun. The pain after the race was not worth the medal I received (at the time), and it set me back a few months of training both mentally and physically. In fact it took me 16 months before I ran another full. To run a race is a challenge so do what you are up for. However, I will not go into a marathon again thinking that because I have done quite a few before, that this one will be easy. I learned, they are never easy. 26.2 miles is a long way if you are struggling. How did her 10 mile feel? Will there be time to attempt a longer run with weekly build up? When is the race? Good luck in your/their decision.

left-right-left-right-repeat

Have her go WALK 16, see how she feels, and then tell her she has to go run 10! Just kiddding (about the runniong part). But seriously, just walking 16 is tiring and a long time out there in itself. She needs to realize how much energy she'll have to consume to be out there that looooooooong. I would do what she plans to do as long as the time limit wasn't going to kick me off the route or disqualify me, but then again, I've run several marathons already and know how difficult they are.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Feeling the growl again

I'll never understand why some who are unprepared to run a marathon feel they need to tackle it without proper preparation. It's miserable enough when you're in shape for it. Sure, it can be done, but it's not pleasant, and I know more than a few people that hung up their shoes after such an experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My son is 21 years old, being a swimmer all his life and working PT as a lifeguard he is fit. A few of his friends are runners and he has travelled to a couple of Marathon races with his friends (For the partying). One year his buddies dared him to run the Marathon, being a foolish university kid, he took up the challenge. With absolutely no training and borrowed shoes, he walked/Ran it in 5 1/4 hrs. Mind you it was 2 days before he could walk down the stairs.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

pandajenn19

I have a friend who is a marathon walking coach for team in training. She can walk a marathon in about 6 1/2 hours (sub 15 minute mile), which never ceases to amaze me. The point is that I understand walking training is similar to running, although once conditioned fewer mid-week miles are needed. Weekly long walks are still a must. I would think walking 26.2 without ever having gone even half that would be excruiciating. And extremely long. Few conditioned people can sustain a walking pace faster than about 17min/mile for many miles. 17 for 26.2 is 7 hours 25 minutes.
                JakeKnight

My second marathon - the first was a decade+ ago, after which I didn't run for years - was the Rocket City Marathon in 2005. I basically got roped into it by a buddy. I wasn't even running when I agreed to do it. Yes, alcohol was involved. I "trained," sort of, for a couple months. Probably ran 200-250 miles total. One 10 mile run. One 13 mile run. Nothing else longer than 6 or 7 miles. But I did pick up Jeff Galloway's book, followed the run/walk advice, and finished the marathon. In 4:22, if it matters. The bad news: it hurt. Bad. The good news: I had so much damn fun running that marathon that I turned into a runner. It's what led me to this place six months later. By the end of this year I expect to be close to an hour faster. I'll run marathons 8 and 9 (and maybe 10 and 11) this spring. So sure, a lot of bad stuff can happen. She may hurt herself. She may never run again. But then again, she might have a blast. Might become a fellow addict. Deciding to run that marathon was undoubtedly stupid. But it was also one of the best stupid things I ever did. That marathon changed my life. Modified to add: I guarantee it'll be less painful than watching the Titans in the playoffs. Cry

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Cause I CAN

6 hrs is a long time rather your walking or running...and very painful...least it was for me.
                    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Could it be done? Sure. Is it a good idea? Not really.
                      VictorN

Yes, your friend could probably do it, although I'd advise against the run 16 and walk the rest approach. She'd be better off knowing what the cutoff time was and then figuring out the run/walk intervals she needs to use to hit that cutoff. But I agree with the above sentiment. Why? It won't be fun, so why bother. Is it just another thing she has on here lifetime to-do list that she want to check off? Marathons aren't going away. Tell her she'll enjoy it much more if she reschedules and prepares properly. Victor
                        milkbaby

Why, suffering is the sole origin of consciousness. --Fyodor Dostoyesvsky Maybe your friend is extremely fit and has a long history of marathon running, so it won't be too bad. If not, then pull up a chair to the 22 mile marker and get your popcorn ready. Smile
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                            Can't she just sell the entry fee on E Bay or whatever the equivelant is and go buy a pair of shoes with the money? Or have a facial? Manicure? I would do that, chalk it up to experience... pick a new goal and make the plans to achieve that one instead.
                            free happiness with every moment!
                              Your friend can run/walk a marathon but she still needs to put in the effort and time to practice however she intends to run, walk or run/walk the event. Otherwise she runs the risk of further injury. I'm currently training a group for 6 hours at a marathon and we just did our 23 mile run/walk last weekend. and we will do a 26 mile training run/walk in a couple of weeks. And although I run my marathons between 4:15 to 4:30 when running them by myself, 6 hours is very difficult if you don't put in the time and effort to train properly.
                              USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010