2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

dallison

registered pw

Count me in. I ran a 3:42 this year as my first and wasn't prepared. This is the year i shave a lot of time off.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm confused. Is this for 2013 only? I see some 2012 races in here. Anyway...

29 APR 2012   Carmel Marathon   3:28:27

next:

9 DEC 2012    Tucson Marathon

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

cpett

Count me in.  My first was the Ghost of Seattle on 11/24/12.  I came in at 3:27:24.  I am a rookie runner (started June 2012) and used a mixed bag of training for the Ghost.  This next go around I'll be using Pfitz 55/70 for the RnR Seattle Marathon.

cpett – 22JUN2013 – RnR Seattle (Seattle, WA)  – Goal = 3:15

PRs: 10K - 45:25 (7/21/12) | 26.2 - 3:27:24 (11/24/12)

2013 Goals: 5K sub 20 | 10K sub 41 | 13.1 sub 1:30 |  26.2 sub 3:10

Hiya

I'm going to be posting here as well as in the MRT group. I'm an RWOL refugee from the 3:30 thread and I'm mighty glad to meet the RA peeps. And happy to be able to have a functional place to keep hanging out with the old gang as well. Hopefully the RA originals don't resent us crashing their party, but so far the welcome seems fine.

My goal for 2013 is 3:19:59 or better, having run a 3:21:50 in September. I've had some sickness and injury issues, and for the last 10 days work issues, but I think the way is now clear for some base building.

I'll do a half marathon in early April, and then decide whether or not to do a spring marathon...or just leave it to the fall. Playing that one very much by ear.

Good luck, JK!

I am in. It is my first marathon attempt.

Here is my detail:

DavidLiu – May 19, 2013 – Blue Nose (Halifax, Canada) – 3:30

I am following Pfitz 55/24 plan on my week 5. I need 4 weeks gap to be filled. Any suggestions? Shall I keep the base for 4 more weeks then up to the next stage? Or shall I re-arrange the plan and keep increase milage to 60?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

I know, right?  I live a couple blocks from there, and run that section of the path 5 times a week.  That sharp hill at that point in the race is going to be interesting --- even people running fast will slow way down and I wonder if there will be a bottleneck.  I have to psych myself up not to walk toward the top of that hill when I get to it at the end of a hard run, and it takes me a while to get back on pace after I get to the top.  Last year the climb up Connecticut to Adams Morgan was uphill, but it was more gradual.

Agreed.  I run that stretch as part of one of my LR routes in part because it is a good, brutal hill.  But it is relatively short, compared to the long pull up Connecticut Ave/Columbia Road they've had in the past, so even though people will slow way down, you can get through it relatively quickly without totally trashing yourself. 

I'm in.  3:30 is probably a target I'm more likely to get close to this Fall, but I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm a RW refugee; I've been running with some application since mid-2010, but my two marathon cycles have been hampered with NRR injuries, so I haven't yet been able to complete a full training cycle.  Hoping that will happen some time this year.

For the big board:

Flinders -- 16MAR2013 -- RnR DC (Washington, DC) -- Goal: 3:35ish RESULT______

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Anonymous Guest

Can I hang out here since there's no sub- 3:35 goal thread? That is BQ -20 for me and I think doable for NJ Marathon on May 5. My PR is 3:52:35 at Detroit in October, but I've made huge gains this past year (PR was 4:26 a year ago) and I think I'm still getting faster. I've run a 21:40 5K and a 1:40:16 half marathon in the last month, both of which tell me 3:35 is possible. Also, I BQ'd by just running more miles (I ran my first 50 miler in August and was training for that as well as Detroit this summer), no speedwork or tempo runs or anything, so I think I have room to get faster.

Feel free to tell me to get lost.....but I'd like to hang out here if you don't think I'm crazy.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

anonygues - Yes, I think you're crazy. For thinking that you wouldn't belong. I'm sure everyone will be rooting for you. Welcome!

fliners - Good to meet you to. It's a sign of a times that when you said you'd been running with some application, I wondered what phone you have. How about a training log?

DavidL - Hiya. Most people would probably need a bit more detail. Like, what were you doing before you started the pfitz? (MPW, long runs). Is 7km the longest race you're ever done? Another "detail" is needed. Or four or five.

cpett - you appear to have some way out potential.

dallison - what's your recipe for shaving?

11 miles this morning. At long last, a half-decent long run and it felt great. Been a while.

dallison

registered pw

dallison - what's your recipe for shaving?

Run more miles per week and get some longer runs in that i haven't done before. I don't have  a race picked out yet or a training program.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Julia1971

Flinders -- 16MAR2013 -- RnR DC (Washington, DC) -- Goal: 3:35ish RESULT______

Nice to see someone else is joining me.  Although, I haven't actually registered yet.  Maybe I should do that now... 

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm in again this year.

Jen, I'm running in the same race as you again. I suspect you'll be ahead of me this time, since I'm already starting out with a cold that wont quit, and a sore shoulder. Don't know what's causing that, but I suspect it's just age creeping up on me. (as Jeff Goldblum said, "faster! must go faster!") 

Clive, I'm in for Boston. will try for a 3:20-ish too. Thanks for running this thread, again.

(by the way, you have my twin cities time from last year too optimistic; I believe my time was a 3:21:56)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Nice to see someone else is joining me.  Although, I haven't actually registered yet.  Maybe I should do that now... 

Julia - definitely reg soon. It sold out this year just after New Years!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

11 miles this morning. At long last, a half-decent long run and it felt great. Been a while.

runbo - nice job getting back on the horse.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Count me in.

Ran a 1:37 HM today. Hot and miserable.   PR'd it by a few seconds from last months HM that was perfect weather.  Have  been thinking the perfect weather one was a fluke, but today I allowed myself to hope maybe 2013 is the year.

Attempts:

Buffalo NY May 26 2013.

Way to go Rozzie, sounds like progress. What's your FM goal?

I churned out another 7 miles today, with some MP thrown in for the last couple miles. Yum.