Ah yes...Yet ANOTHER shoe question??? (Read 640 times)

Wally & Leela

The question is this.... Is it an awful thing to do road/sidewalk running in "trail" shoes? I just bought a new pair of Adidas Adizero XT's (which I didn't know where trail shoes when I bought them). I just tried them on and really liked the way they felt ( and they look cool too..lol)....then I came home and did a bit of research...BAM!!!....it says "trail runnning shoe" And I don't really do any trail running... What's your thoughts???

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Imminent Catastrophe

Trail shoes generally have grippier soles and more foot protection in the sole and toe area. It looks to me like the Adizero is a lightweight trail shoe, and probably not your best choice for road/sidewalk running. I have to ask, where did you buy these shoes? I'll bet it wasn't a specialty running shoe store, I suggest you find a running store where someone who knows the shoes can advise you. Either that, or take up trail running Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Is it an awful thing to do road/sidewalk running in "trail" shoes?
        While you certainly can, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. For myself, I keep a couple of pairs of trail shoes that I rotate for my trail runs, and use road shoes for most of my training and racing. That being said, you'd probably be okay. It's easier to run roads with trail shoes than vice versa, especially on more technical trails. If it is slick or there is a lot of ice or snow on the ground, then using trail shoes would definitely be better. Just be aware that the shoes probably won't last as long or work as well for trail shoes if you use them regularly on asphalt.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

That being said, you'd probably be okay. It's easier to run roads with trail shoes than vice versa, especially on more technical trails. If it is slick or there is a lot of ice or snow on the ground, then using trail shoes would definitely be better. Just be aware that the shoes probably won't last as long or work as well for trail shoes if you use them regularly on asphalt.
          I disagree. I've run up to 16 miles that was about 1/2 road and 1/2 single track trail in road shoes. Major foot pain. Trail shoes don't have enough cushioning to protect your body from the harder surface and constent jarring that asphalt/concrete have in store for you. My advice - either return them or start running trails!
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Trail shoes don't have enough cushioning to protect your body from the harder surface and constent jarring that asphalt/concrete have in store for you.
            Or you can learn to run without all that jarring. I run quite comfortably on pavement in these which have no cushion at all. It all comes down to form and conditioning. Anyway, I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I just want to point out that your generalization doesn't hold true for everyone. Smile
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

I disagree. I've run up to 16 miles that was about 1/2 road and 1/2 single track trail in road shoes. Major foot pain. Trail shoes don't have enough cushioning to protect your body from the harder surface and constent jarring that asphalt/concrete have in store for you. My advice - either return them or start running trails!
              Well, I don't know the Adidas Adizero XT shoes at all having never used them or read about them, but trail shoes run the gamut from super supportive road shoe with tread to basically a rubber sole on your foot (like the 5 fingers Ed uses) My assumption that he would probably be okay is based on this statement:
              I just tried them on and really liked the way they felt ( and they look cool too..lol)....
              I'd still recommend getting road and trail shoes for the respective surfaces, but I don't think he'll have much trouble if he is okay with the trail shoes he's wearing now and finds them comfortable.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)