Children biking on the track? (Read 503 times)

xhristopher

Seven of them tonight. Coming at you from every direction. Forget hurdles. Here's dynamic slalom.

A Saucy Wench

Depends on the track. (which is why I voted donut cheezeburger.  It actually sounds gross)

We have 1 track in town that is in crappy shape and it is considered acceptable to have kids ride on that track.  Counter clockwise and staying in a lane.  So it seems like your problem is parenting.

A track like that with what looks like a decent surface?  Oh hell no.  The school/university would lock the track if people started letting kids ride on it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stupid parents (but at least the 2 kids in the photo are helmeted--that's a rare sight in these parts).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

This track as brand new. Bigger issue is that kids on bikes are very, very erratic. Almost hit a couple running round mile pace. The red kid is on a motorized scooter.

Julia1971

Little dude on the 6" of track outside lane 6 is good.

My girl going clock-wise in lane 2...  I'm torn because, yeah she's breaking all the rules, but she's also hanging onto a pretty tight turn.  Things like that do tend to moderate my irritation.  If it were her or me, though, she's going down.  (Good thing she's wearing a helmet).

Revenge of the Nerd

I see it frequently. Unfortunate that parents allow it. There are probably even signs prohibiting bikes. Good lesson for the kiddies.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

xhristopher

Little dude on the 6" of track outside lane 6 is good.

Keep in mind this is just a snap shot. Little dude in red almost took me out 500m into an 800 in lane 1.

Birdwell

I let my six year old ride the high school track when I'm doing speed work. She knows to stay in lane 7 or 8, and we're generally the only people there.

I figure her bike does less damage than the football coaches gold cart and the grounds crew John Deere tractor.

(tracks not in great shape, at least 15 years old. she's good for a lap or two, but then she ends up building sand castles in the long jump pit)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The red kid is on a motorized scooter.

What is the point of those things, anyhow...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Gotta say WTF.

And yeah, bad parenting.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Bad parenting and bad for the track.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tinman11

I was on the final mile of a greenway run today when I passed  a man walking with his 5 year old daughter who was riding a bike.  She was slightly ahead of him.

As I approached a downhill section that goes towards a big pond, I noticed that she had pulled ahead of me slightly and was way ahead of her dad.

I could see the situation unfold as she went down the hill.  She needed to take an easy turn to the right at the bottom of the hill, then circle the pond going counterclockwise.

She tried to take the hairpin turn to the left.  I knew if she tried to make the turn that she was going to wreck.  Instead she eased up on the tight turn and headed straight into the pond.

I was in the pond plucking her out within about 2 seconds.  Her dad came along after I helped her get off the bike and up to the shore.  She was in deep enough that the water was up to the seat on the bike.  To my surprise she never cried or seemed concerned.  She was kind of like, "hey, check it out, I'm in the pond."

Her dad came along and thanked me for helping and we all went on our way.  She had some nice pond seaweed stuck in all the spokes.  Should make a good story for the momma tonight.

Julia1971

Keep in mind this is just a snap shot. Little dude in red almost took me out 500m into an 800 in lane 1.

Disappointing.  Good thing he's also wearing a helmet...  If I'm marathon training, I'm not above paying Motocross Girl to veer into Little Dude so I don't have to deal with the angry stares.  I'm guessing $20 would do it.

DoppleBock

Always wrong -

Seven of them tonight. Coming at you from every direction. Forget hurdles. Here's dynamic slalom.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Jeezus - on a new track?  I sure as heck hope you said something to the parent(s).