Bugs... (Read 707 times)

Are gross. I'm not even someone who hates insects, but wiping a layer of them off my skin every few minutes while I run is pretty disgusting.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One of the greatest things about running trails at dawn is clearing the spiderwebs. A nasty pleasure to be sure. But it really lets me know I am running, out at one with nature.
        I run a Tuesday night 5K series, and for whatever reason there is always a cloud of bugs at one point on the course. The cloud tends to hover at about eye-level, so even though I know it's coming up I usually wind up eating a couple. Not really pleasant, but I guess it's a source of on-the-go protein.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Swadvad

I sometimes run the cart paths at the local golf course at dusk. (Avoiding heat and automobiles) I always inhale a bug or two. THAT'S a really nice experience! Surprised
            I kind of appreciated the horseflies during yesterday's trail run. They kept landing on the back of my neck & really motivated me to keep the pace up.
              I run a Tuesday night 5K series, and for whatever reason there is always a cloud of bugs at one point on the course. The cloud tends to hover at about eye-level, so even though I know it's coming up I usually wind up eating a couple. Not really pleasant, but I guess it's a source of on-the-go protein.
              Well I do have trouble making sure I get enough protein sometimes... Tongue
              icemanrunner

I really hate the horse flies that just hover over the top of my head. It does not matter how many times I swat at them they just stay there and drive me crazy. The only way I have found to get rid of them is to run through the leaves of low tree branches. This my sound a bit kooky (and warning: sometimes it hurts) but it does tend to work most of the time until you get to the next cloud flies.

If I die, do I have to go to Practice?

I really really HATE spiders. I about ran into a mailbox while running as I jumped away from what looked like a spider on the sidewalk (turned out it was just a small lump of mulch). As for wiping the bugs off while running, yeah, that's nasty stuff. I've inhaled a couple, but just little ones!

Michelle

Basically... run!

I've inhaled my fair share of bugs, which I don't mind quite as much as the gnat that gets stuck on my eyeball.

I've been using "skeeter skedaddler" and it does a great job against the mosquitos, horse flies, and even Maine Deer Flies. Which is a good thing.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

i make a bug spray that keeps mosquitoes and other biters away when they've got a choice, but whenever i run along the canal and pass through a cloud of gnats, i end up with a pile of them stuck in the giant sweaty flypaper i call my forehead. it's most attractive.