How Far Can My Dog Run? (Read 20030 times)

I hope this doesn't sound too silly! With spring approaching I wanted to start increasing my distances that I run. I have a 5 year old female golden retreiver that has been running with me so far and she has been doing well with 5k and 8k. I am also a fairly slow runner. I only run around 6 minute kms (9 minute miles). But my question is ... can I keep taking my dog with me even if I can work up to say 20 or 26k? Or as the distance increases should I leave her at home? Thanks, Terry
    JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Oh Mighty Wing

Talk to your vet and pay careful attention to your dog. If she needs to rest don't force into going farther. Heat can be a big issue and at 5 you might need to start being cautious about her hips as well. Your best bet is to talk to you vet about it.
          I used to run my shepherd no more than 6 or 7 miles. If it was hot out, I would wet her down first. Sometimes, if I wanted to go longer, I would take her back home after a few miles, and continue by myself. It was really hard when she got old. They love running so much, it breaks your heart when they get old. Cry

- Anya

Mr R

Retrievers are not great runners. Normally 5-7 miles is the upper range of what they can/should do. Shepherds are a little better at running (7-10 miles as an upper range). Hunting dogs like Viszlas and Rhodesians are the strongest running dogs, able to run as well as most humans. These are, of course, guidelines. Heat is also more of a limiting factor than distance. My shepherd mix has done 16 milers with me, but she built up to it over the course of a year. These runs were through the snow, so obviously the temp was not a problem, and the surface was soft. The main thing is to make sure that you're not pulling your dog at all, and that he/she bounces back fairly quickly. I knew that the long runs were OK with my dog, because she'd be bouncing off the walls within two hours of returning from the run.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

I would check with the vet. I don't know much about retrievers, but maybe your vet will know more about the breed and what they can do. ShanHas - I see you have a boston! Do you take her running with you? I started a few months ago running with my Boston, Lola. We go up to 4 miles or so at a slow pace with a few walking breaks. She acts like she could run forever.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I have some friends that do 15-20 mile runs with their dogs. One is a viszla, another is a mutt, but both dogs were trained to run as puppies and their owners are very careful about the conditions when they take the dogs out. I think the advice about talking to your vet is probably the best.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Dutchie42

I have a Dachshund mutt that runs 10K 3xweek. Vet says he probably could run further, but to be on the save side we'll stick with 10K max. He's recently been checked by the vet again and he's doing great (the dog that is). Also have a labradorXbouvier who has the OK from the vet to run all training distances for the marathon, as long as she does every training with me. Longest distance sofar was a 30K (temp was about 8C and raining). Has also recently had her 6-month check up. Both dogs are in excellent health (says the vet).

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.

One cool thing I forgot to mention. When we went to a new vet for the first time, the vet examined Savannah ( my old Shep mix ) He took his time examining her. When he was done, he got up and said "She's in great shape. Is she a runner?" That blew me away!

- Anya

Interesting thread as I have been going through a similar thing with my dog of late. I'm not comfortable taking her on runs with me as I have no desire to stop while she does what dogs do, but I just purchased a bike so that I can take her out and let her run while I am on the bike. She is an extremely high energy dog, but I really had no idea just how high energy. I was thinking that one 5k per day would be enough. Ok, honestly, I was thinking that one 5k per day would break her will just a bit. Instead she mocks me. She runs 5k per run, twice per day, and sprints the last six blocks of each run. To add insult to injury I put a stopwatch on her today and she is actually beating my 5k times! Seriously, it's embarrassing. On her second 5k of the day she ran a 20:54, and that includes one stop for a poo, two stops for a pee, one stop while I convinced her it was not cool to chase a squirrel, two stops for distractions from other dogs, and eleven stop signs. She wasn't even breathing hard when we got home. And I actually make her pull me up the hills! Seriously, I went into this thinking I would finally wear her out and really teach her a lesson. Now I'm on mapmyrun plotting 8k courses for her starting tomorrow. Granted, it's still very cold here, the high was -1C today, so I'm hoping that for now one 8k and one 5k will be enough, and that when it gets warmer I can back down to the two 5ks. She's a boxer / bulldog mix that everyone mistakes for a rhodesian. It's odd, I know the people who bred her. I know the two dogs ( male boxer, female bulldog ) that created her. Yet she looks identical to a rhodesian except that she does not have the ridge.
                      And who am I anyway?
                      Just another fat jogger, evidently.

over 9000!!!

she has been doing well with 5k and 8k. even if I can work up to say 20 or 26k? Terry
                        vhat is zhis "k" you speaks of?? mines simples american mind cannots comprehends.... Sleepy
                        runninginmemphis

During the winters, I run with my 6 year old male golden retriever up to distances of 10 miles. We work up to it gradually over several months, and usually run a loop so that I can bring him home if needed. I won't run with him when the temperature is even slightly warm (Memphis, TN) due to his very long, thick coat and I offer him water once or twice during the run. I love running with him, however, he does slow things down considerably!
                          Laura
                          C-R

I took my dog (Mickey) for his first run this week. He's a 2 year old collie and is pretty much a whirling dervish so I thought, after reading others comments, it might be fun. It was a 2 miler and he loved it. I will try to build his miles slowly but so far so good. BTW - the run for me was not very consistent or great for training as I stopped a few times to let him do his thing and running with a collection bag for a half mile was sort of interesting but it was relaxing and I felt very good after we finished since my pace was slower and I had a couple of breaks. Thanks for others here posting to prod me (indirectly of course) into giving it a try with Mickey.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/