?s for "dreadmillers" (Read 1723 times)

wbertha

ultrarunner2, did you have some kind of lap counter??? I would have forgotten is this lap 51 or 61??? Confused wbertha
      Hello! I have been running the treadmill lately because of the weather and there are pros and cons. Pros: I don't have to worry about cars, weirdos or rabid dogs on the treadmill. I have been listening to a book on my ipod which has made the time fly by much quicker. I only do short runs on it so I don't go too insane. You don't have to carry anything like water, there are places to put that so you have a nice stress free run. Cons: I find that if I don't manually change my pace, which I seem to be too lazy to do most of the time, I pull muscles (hamstring mostly) by running "uphill" at the same pace that I would be on a level surface. I hate all that sweating with no breeze to cool me off. Let's face it, the treadmill is BORING!!! Nothing beats being outdoors in the fresh air, the scenery always changing and there’s always something new to see. Gin

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

The biggest thing to remember is to always set the treadmill at a minimum of 1° incline (I never do anything less than a 2° incline) so that you don't hyperextend your back. The slight incline forces you to lean forward slightly; without it, you run the risk of having your foot carried back as you are leaning backwards which can be a bad combination.
        Totally disagree, an incline is an incline. It increases the work, raises temperature and works you out harder. Running at 0% is very much like running outdoors on a flat surface. I agree with Alberto Salazar on treadmill training. If you can't lean forwards on a treadmill then anyone can adjust. Look in the mirror or video yourself. The idea of having to raise the deck to compensate for lack of wind, belt is doing the work or other reasons can easily be compensated by increasing the speed. Quicker pacing is just as important as uphill running. These are myths: http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html

Totally disagree, an incline is an incline. It increases the work, raises temperature and works you out harder. Running at 0% is very much like running outdoors on a flat surface. I agree with Alberto Salazar on treadmill training. If you can't lean forwards on a treadmill then anyone can adjust. Look in the mirror or video yourself. The idea of having to raise the deck to compensate for lack of wind, belt is doing the work or other reasons can easily be compensated by increasing the speed. Quicker pacing is just as important as uphill running. These are myths: http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html
          Sure, you can lean forward at 0° - you can also run for years at 0° and never hyper extend your back. However, it is much easier to lean back when there is no incline, and to have your leg pulled backwards by the belt, and to hurt yourself. So, since my treadmill running is limited to begin with, I have no interest in hurting myself, and I have no need to run slowly on a flat treadmill, I always put the incline to a minimum of 2°. As for speed, I usually set that to 7:30 pace to warm up and then dial down to 5-5:30 minute pace for the workout.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It's C. Leave it at that. Treadmills. Bad.
            I agree. And I just bought one. Mainly for my wife, but I figured I'd use it every once in a while. I think I'd rather punch myself in the face repeatedly (ala Fight Club) than run on it. Black eye
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Totally disagree, an incline is an incline. It increases the work, raises temperature and works you out harder. Running at 0% is very much like running outdoors on a flat surface. I agree with Alberto Salazar on treadmill training. If you can't lean forwards on a treadmill then anyone can adjust. Look in the mirror or video yourself. The idea of having to raise the deck to compensate for lack of wind, belt is doing the work or other reasons can easily be compensated by increasing the speed. Quicker pacing is just as important as uphill running. These are myth.
              While it's true that wind resistance thing is a canard (we are simply not running fast enough for it to matter), I can tell you that from my own experience that 0° incline feels like downhill to me. The prevailing opinion is that regardless of the wind issue, 1% on a 'mill is roughtly equal to solid, level ground. Lots of people, including exercise physiologists like Owen Anderson and Jack Daniels recommend 1% as the base setting and say that it is most biomechanically equivalent to outdoor level ground running. Daniels includes a table in Daniels' Running Formula that shows the equivalent running pace as a function of treadmill speed and incline. This running calculator includes a calculation from that table for equivalent speed.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

that's what she said

I pretty much only train on a treadmill....I have a few excuses: too dangerous to run in my neighborhood (awful dog attack happened near my house), I don't feel like using the jogging stroller and pushing my 23 pound daughter...so treadmill it is....I kinda like it Smile. But...your comment: "And I'd gauge my "competition" ie, OK, he/she's off his/her treadmill now, so I "beat" him/her." is exactly what I do. Big grin I did my longest run EVER today, 7 miles, so freakin' proud of myself...and I was definitely on the ol' dreadmill the longest. Hehe, I'm sure though I was proud of myself others thought I was crazy. I'll definitely start using the incline more often...I use it on some but not all runs.
                Nicole
                  I prefer to run on a treadmill. Well let me put this another way, if I had great places to run right outside my front door or a short drive away with accessible water stops and the weather was great then I would rather run outside. But since there aren’t many good places to run and it’s usually hot and humid I do most of my running on the treadmill. My long treadmill runs have been 21.5 miles. I run with an ipod facing tv’s and a gym workout area. This is usually enough to keep me from getting too board.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                  Running in Tampa

Double IPA Please!

I have been doing 50/50 for the last few years. Since I have started training for this race in August, I have been doing 70% of my runs on my treadmill due to an injury. However, I am going to start slowly moving them outside as my race draws near and as my knee can handle. I don't mind it quite honestly, when I have not been outside running in awhile,but when I go out and run I always says to myself "What am I thinking running inside?"..Go figure. I have 3 kids and sometimes, it is easier for me to hop on the treadmill. As far as the incline, I personally used to have it set at 1% at all times..However, now I don't really think about it too much. I just run.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

The Greatest of All Time

I am pretty much forced into running on a TM due to time and location restrictions. I never pictured myself running on one either, but I have gotten used to it. I ran 17 miles on the TM Saturday and 16 miles last night. There is an 8 mile loop through a forest preserve near my condo that I try to hit once or twice a week but it's been covered with snow and ice for the last 2 months. I damn near broke my ankles attempting to run on it Sunday morning. For me, I think doing speedwork on a TM is easier since the pace is set and you know your speed, and more importantly that it stays consistent, whether it's an interval at 5:00 pace or a tempo run at 6:00 pace (major run-on sentence there). But it definitely takes some mental fortitude to commit to staying on one for 2 or more hours. If I am running 90 minutes or less I don't even take water with me. But for anything over 90 minutes I take drinks and gels as necessary. Ten years ago I used to make fun of people that ran with headphones on. My thoughts were if you needed something to distract you from the pain, then you weren't a real runner. These days, I rarely run without my iPod, indoors or outdoors. Funny how things change as we get older.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

uncontrollable

Sure, you can lean forward at 0° - you can also run for years at 0° and never hyper extend your back. However, it is much easier to lean back when there is no incline, and to have your leg pulled backwards by the belt, and to hurt yourself. So, since my treadmill running is limited to begin with, I have no interest in hurting myself, and I have no need to run slowly on a flat treadmill, I always put the incline to a minimum of 2°. As for speed, I usually set that to 7:30 pace to warm up and then dial down to 5-5:30 minute pace for the workout.
                        Just want to say THANKS for the whole incline advice, I tried it at 2% and had to do a 22 miler. Last long run I did on the TM (at 0) it screwed up my left hip flexor BAD so I was worried. NO PROBLEMS this time. Maybe this is the key. Great info! My legs felt fine!

peace

22 miles on a treadmill? Oh my God.
                          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

uncontrollable

22 miles on a treadmill? Oh my God.
                            I know

peace