back in running shoes and need advice (Read 561 times)

mommyontherun

Hi! I've been lurking for a few weeks now and love this forum. I don't know all of the lingo as I am new to this posting stuff. Anyway, I really enjoy running and have been a runner since high school, with the exception of the last 7 years. My 3rd baby is 2 now and I am back in my running shoes ready to run again. I have been training for my first half-marathon following Hal Higdon's 12 week beginners program. I have been keeping up with the miles to this point. However, this last week, I have just been dragging. My hip and my feet are sooooo sore. On Monday, I struggled to run 3 miles in the same amount of time (30 minutes) it took me to run it at the beginning of my training. The week before I did 8 miles in under 80 minutes without struggling, so I feel like maybe I am over training and need to take a break. My half-marathon is in a week. According to Hal's plan, I am supposed to run 10 this weekend. I ran/(walk) 12 a few weeks ago, so I know I can do 13. I am nervous about skipping the 10 miles, but I think it might be better in the long run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and I am glad to finally have joined!

Hawt and sexy

I have not seen the plan, but once you say Hal Higdon to me, warning lights go off. I see a plan with miles too few to support long runs. But that does not seem to be the problem here. It really sounds as if you are concentrating way too much on speed. Slow down. It is not something to worry about when you first start up again. I took several years off from running myself. Once I figured out that easy meant really easy, I was ok. Just do the 10 miles and do them slowly. If that means running slower than you have ever ran before, so be it.

I'm touching your pants.

milkbaby

If it's only a week until your HM race, don't sweat it! As they say, the hay is in the barn... Smile What you could do is just go out and start your 10 miler but be willing to cut it short depending on how you feel. If it is somewhat stressful, there is no need to grit your teeth just to have a poor quality run that may drag your fitness down. My philosophy is to be willing to cut short any run that I feel is reducing my fitness instead of increasing it. Good luck!
        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
        mommyontherun

Thank you so much! You are right, the hay is in the barn. I just needed a second opinion. With the race only a week away, I am getting really nervous. Thanks Willanoma, you are right, I have been concentrating way too much on time. The girls I have been training with are constantly monitoring our time. Sometimes, it feels like it is becoming a competition between us. I need to keep my original goal "to finish" in mind, instead of worrying so much about my time. Thanks again!
            Sore feet and hips mean you are ready for some new shoes. Running shoes can look fine on the outside but be shot on the inside. The foam in the soles becomes compressed and they lose their cushioning properties. Get a pair now so you have time to get used to them before the race. Your legs will thank you. Tom