Are some companies saving money by using overly short laces? (Read 1097 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm looking at you, Brooks and Nike (not you, NB and Mizuno).  Seriously, I have found with several pairs of Nike and now a pair of Brooks that I can't use all the eyelets and have enough lace to tie a tiny knot, much less room to double-knot.  Would it kill these companies to use laces of maybe an extra 6" or so?  Shit, I'd pay an extra dollar for that "feature."

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I have a pair of Scott shoes with freaky loooooong laces.  They are "the footlong (and then some)".

My current favorite beefy trail shoes (Mizuno Cabrakan) have the short lace problem.

Honestly the too-long lace is a bigger problem for me.

I have tried a substantial number of Brooks shoes (Ravenna, Adrenaline, Trance, Pure Cadence, Pure Grit, Cascadia, Green Silence, Racer) and none of them have short laces.  then again, I don't use all the eyelets.

TripleBock

Interesting - I ordered my size D Asic 1150s or 1160s - When they were on dirt cheap sale.  I had not looked at them for 5 or 6 months and relized they send 4 pair of narrow shoes - I can hardly get them tied.  I would think the same laced of the wider shoe would be extra floppy on narrower shoes.

So ... maybe?  I figure They are not too bad and so much time had passed I will burn through them.  But I will not race in them or do over 20 mile runs in them.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm sure the width of my feet plays a role.  That's probably part of why NBs always have long enough laces--I always get wides in those.  Everything else I have to loosen the laces to allow room for my duck feet.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

then again, I don't use all the eyelets.

I gotta use the top ones...I have heel slip in most shoes.  I have been known to skip rows through the toe box so that I have enough at the top of the shoe.  Or at the top of the shoe do that lace-lock thing (which I do with all shoes, because of my heels) with the first and third set of eyelets, entirely skipping the 2nd set.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've had to double-tie all of mine.  I have wide feet, too.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I have some NB with long, too long, laces and some with short. Some stay tied, some don't. Grrr...

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

Ah, laces that won't stay tied no matter what kind of knot I use.  Ho ho ho, Green Silence!

Everything else I have to loosen the laces to allow room for my duck feet.

All the cool ducks are going minimalist.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, how did they put little boot thingies on that duck...and why?!

~ Sarah Kay

Chris UK

Not as minimalist as these -

"At this time of year many goose farmers also fattened their flocks in readiness for the drive to London's Leadenhall market and the all-important Christmas trade. The birds' feet were dipped in tar and covered with sand to protect them on the 100-mile trek, which was completed at a brisk waddling pace of about a mile an hour. Yet the London drive was a modest affair compared with the epic performed by the domestic geese of ancient France, where the Gauls used to march them over the Alps to the markets in Roman Italy."  

I've had plenty of pairs of shoes wear out but never a pair of laces so maybe just save the long ones?

Pragmatism - it's my middle name. Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I bought a pair of ASICS-1160s from my Local Running Shop.  The laces were (nice and) long.  The full bow could be slipped under the bottom cross-bridge.  They never came untied like this.

I bought 2 more pair from Amazon when they had a sale on last-year's model (the same 1160s).  Those laces are really short.  Not excessively too short, but the bow barely reaches the mid-part of the shoe and the tail of the not is only about an inch (making them hard to slip under the cross-laces).

My theory was that they shorted the laces on the discount shoes online and keep the longer laces for the local running stores since customers would notice in the fitting.

But sheesh, what are they saving 3cents on every shoe?

Now I transfer laces from shoe to shoe.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lydiard lacing works for shorter laces.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But sheesh, what are they saving 3cents on every shoe?

Now I transfer laces from shoe to shoe.

The problem is it's been a couple of years since I've had laces that I wouldn't call too-short.  I might go buy a pair of longer laces and just hang onto them.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I've had laces that seemed kind of short on new shoes, but after wearing for a few runs and stretching out they are always plenty long to double-knot.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills