Internet TV (Read 828 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Up $30/mo in a single go?

Yeah, you need to tell them to go pound sand, even if you go Dish or DirectTV.

Yeah, they pulled this shit a year ago, too.  And they wonder why they lose business.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For those of you who are using Internet TV, what sort of device do you have connected to your TV?  I must say that the Roku boxes look intriguing, especially with the ability to stream Pandora music.  I have a Pandora One account, so that would be cool.

We have an old Roku player. The Roku 2 is so tiny in comparison. Roku has a bunch of different channels, some free, some subscription. You can also view your photos from Facebook and SMUGMUG as well as other photo sites.

Probably the worst thing about the Roku is that we lose the remote ALL THE TIME. But you can get apps that will work as a Roku remote.

We love our Roku player. 

breakfast

Spam-a-lot

You can get Netflix streaming for 7.99 a month. That combined with Amazon Prime (if you are a member) will get you access to most everything. I get the Walking Dead through Netflix. Plus tons of free movies.

Sorry I need clarification on this and am a little pressed for time so have not read the whole thread.  I have Netflix but I have only seen season 1 on it so far which was like 6 episodes. 

Howe are you getting recent stuff?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Why is it sideways?

I just get Season 1, too. Sorry for the confusion.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry I need clarification on this and am a little pressed for time so have not read the whole thread.  I have Netflix but I have only seen season 1 on it so far which was like 6 episodes. 

Howe are you getting recent stuff?

I think the only way to get recent stuff is on AMC's site...and with a 2 week delay.  This is the ONLY reason we have kept cable.  We're planning to ditch cable and pay to download episodes within 24 hours of airing, which would really be cheap for 1 series.

~ Sarah Kay

I just get Season 1, too. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries you just got me excited.  I loved that show, love netflix and it is great to watch one series at a time.  We have found a bunch of great series on their for SciFi stuff.  We always get a little disappointed when we get to the end like we just did with Merlin.  We don't watch much TV but when we do it is family time.  I just added Primeval (Dinosaur stuff) which looks really cool but I have a feeling it might not be kid friendly. 

We also just added Myth Busters but that seems a little slow moving but interesting.  Blowing cement off the inside of a cement truck was interesting.  I wish they did more stuff during their episodes.  I think we may be done with that one. 

• Sub 22  5K
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have found a bunch of great series on their for SciFi stuff.

Promise me you will watch Firefly.  You will likely HATE FOX for f'ing that one up (when they originally aired it, they did so out-of-order, which kept it from taking-off.  Then they cancelled it after 1 season).

~ Sarah Kay

Promise me you will watch Firefly.  You will likely HATE FOX for f'ing that one up (when they originally aired it, they did so out-of-order, which kept it from taking-off.  Then they cancelled it after 1 season).

Will give it a try.  I think I might even have it loaded but never thought it sound very interesting.  We loved Merlin, Sanctuary, Startgate Atlantis, Stargate Universe.  I wish I could catch up on any new episodes for those. 

• Sub 22  5K
                    stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think the only way to get recent stuff is on AMC's site...and with a 2 week delay.  This is the ONLY reason we have kept cable.  We're planning to ditch cable and pay to download episodes within 24 hours of airing, which would really be cheap for 1 series.

Who offers the download?  And what's the price?

It might be my solution for Mad Men.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Will give it a try.  I think I might even have it loaded but never thought it sound very interesting.  We loved Merlin, Sanctuary, Startgate Atlantis, Stargate Universe.  I wish I could catch up on any new episodes for those. 

That's pretty easy -- I think they're all cancelled.

+1 Firefly

+1 Farscape

+1 Battlestar Galactica (new version)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Who offers the download?  And what's the price?

It might be my solution for Mad Men.

iTunes and Amazon both appear to sell standard resolution episodes for $2 and HD for $3...I think they show up on there <24 hours after the show airs...maybe even when it airs.  At 13 episodes this season that's still <$40 for the entire season in HD...WAY cheaper than what we're paying for standard def. cable.  And then we own the episodes to watch whenever.

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

I'm in the process of packing up my cable box to send back to Comcast. Now I just need to get around to switching to FIOS for internet. I tried to get the discount when I called them to cancel the TV service but they didn't seem to care any more. In fact they raised my internet fee $10 for not having TV service. Idiots.

I've been using my Samsung Blu-ray player for Netflix streaming and it works for the most part. The biggest issue is that the navigation is painfully slow. I'm thinking about switching to the Roku box or the new Apple TV. I just need to figure out if either of them will play the HD shows that I record on my DVR OTA. The Samsung box will play most of them through the DLNA connection but has some issues with navigation.

Ross

The only downside with using our Wii is apparently that produces the lowest quality feed.  DH has a work laptop that he uses most of the time, so we'd most likely hook his desktop computer up to the TV and use that as the streaming device.  It would actually give us an HD picture, for a change.  For a while the local networks were in HD, but now they're only HD for those who have an HD cable package.

Hey just wondering if you guys ended up doing this and, if so, how it worked out.

When we wanna watch Netflix, we connect a laptop to the TV via an HDMI cord.  For some reason we can't get the sound to be delivered through the TV (Does anyone know how to do this?). Instead, it comes out of the internal laptop speakers. 

Is there an upside to getting a Roku box over just getting external laptop speakers?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Nader, HDMI only runs video. You will need a separate cable that plugs into your laptop headphone jack and the TV RCA jack. If you have a home surround system hooked up to the TV it is likely that is what you're using, otherwise you can pick it up for a couple bucks and there's no additional setup, just plug and play.