Changing trend in socially acceptable body weight? (Read 361 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I keep seeing lots of Facebook posts on how ugly thin women are, and how beautiful women of heavier weights are.  I don't necessarily disagree with any of the posts, but I wonder if there is a changing public perception in America about what constitutes an ideal body weight?  And it does not seem to be related to what doctors advise as a healthy weight.

For instance, a friend posted this yesterday:

"LOL just found a BMI calculator. It says for being 5'6, my target weight range should be 114.6 - 154.9lbs. The 154 I could very likely pull off considering I was 150 in high school and in good shape but 114? I'd look sick. They'd admit me for treatment for anorexia if I got down to 114! No thank you!"

Her post was followed with a lot of people saying how sickly anyone at that weight would look.  One woman even said anyone weighing less than 125 pounds at that height would be disgusting.

Does anyone else see this kind of trend?  Do you think, if it exists, is it related to the general increase in obesity in America?  I feel like because we see so many people carrying more weight than in the past, maybe our "normal" has been shifted a few pounds over.

It does bother me when anyone of any weight is criticized.  But as a technically "underweight" person, having people describe someone like me as anorexic and disgusting definitely hurts.  Especially when I feel like I am in the best physical fitness condition of my life.

I am very glad the days of heroin chic Kate Moss are over, but I am not sure that what has replaced it is any healthier.

Leah, mother of dogs

Intentionally Blank

I've noticed that, too.  Alot of "real women have curves' type stuff.  I guess it's too much to wish we could encourage people for their healthy choices and good character rather than their physical traits.

I'm not sure if it's a changing trend, or just a vocal backlash.

Hoban-Jay

I keep seeing lots of Facebook posts on how ugly thin women are, and how beautiful women of heavier weights are.  I don't necessarily disagree with any of the posts, but I wonder if there is a changing public perception in America about what constitutes an ideal body weight?

Do you think, if it exists, is it related to the general increase in obesity in America?  I feel like because we see so many people carrying more weight than in the past, maybe our "normal" has been shifted a few pounds over.

I don't think so...   Think 50-60 years ago...Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Jane Mansfield...all heartthrobs of their day...all had curvy, hour-glass figures...not a waif amongst them.

#artbydmcbride

I think there is definitely a change in perception.  I remember there only being one or two "fat" kids at my high school.  Now when I see groups of teens, it seems to be at least half are overweight!  Surprised  And they certainly don't seem to be dressing to try to minimize it either!

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I don't think so...   Think 50-60 years ago...Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Jane Mansfield...all heartthrobs of their day...all had curvy, hour-glass figures...not a waif amongst them.

Boobs never go out of style!  Cool

Runners run

Boobs never go out of style!  Cool

doh!

Get off my porch

As a guy, I think that the charts are a little skewed.  According to them, at 5' 10", my acceptable weight was between 130 and 174.

Now, at my lowest point (I'm NOWHERE near that now), I was 145 lbs, which was a shade under the middle of that range, and I looked like some emaciated 3rd world homeless dude who hadn't eaten in weeks.  I was gaunt, my cheekbones and eye sockets popped out of my face, my illiac crest was sticking out.  At night I would lie in bed and actually be able to feel gas moving around in my stomach I had so little fat.  Veins were popping out on my arms and hands.  Everyone I knew thought I was either sick, or anorexic.

But heck, I could run 20 miles with no problem (at a reasonable 9 min per mile pace).

I think those charts are just a little too low.

Now, being 174, that would be nice.  I have a little work to do to get back there.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

at 5-10 and 145 lbs, it was my minimum racing weight and about 5 percent BF.  any lighter and my recovery went to hell.  I would have had to shed significant muscle to get any lighter. BMI is dumb.

that said, socially acceptable does not equal healthy.  more people are just plain fat now. sugar coating it doesn't help the issue. diabetes is skyrocketing for a reason.  People don't need to be waifs, but pretending it is fine to be overweight so people don't get their feelings hurt is like giving everyone a trophy.

As a guy, I think that the charts are a little skewed.  According to them, at 5' 10", my acceptable weight was between 130 and 174.

Now, at my lowest point (I'm NOWHERE near that now), I was 145 lbs, which was a shade under the middle of that range, and I looked like some emaciated 3rd world homeless dude who hadn't eaten in weeks.  I was gaunt, my cheekbones and eye sockets popped out of my face, my illiac crest was sticking out.  At night I would lie in bed and actually be able to feel gas moving around in my stomach I had so little fat.  Veins were popping out on my arms and hands.  Everyone I knew thought I was either sick, or anorexic.

But heck, I could run 20 miles with no problem (at a reasonable 9 min per mile pace).

I think those charts are just a little too low.

Now, being 174, that would be nice.  I have a little work to do to get back there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The sign to me that obesity is somewhat more accepted now isn't the anti-thin girl posts, but the use of fat kids in advertising. In the last few years, more and more kids in commercials are overweight. It's accepted in a way it never used to be and the rising obesity rates are given lip service instead of any meaningful moves towards working on it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those target weight charts take into account ALL body types...so they show ideal weight range for the healthiest low weight that a pure ectomorph can carry (ie "string bean" build) as well as the highest weight that a pure mesomorph (larger bones, higher natural muscle mass) could be and still generally not be overweight.  An ectomorph and mesomorph of the same height and body fat could have VASTLY different weights and still be healthy, especially if that mesomorph is doing any significant amount of muscle-building work.

When I look at the "ideal weight" range for my height (just <5'4") I think it's generally something like 110-145.  I'm about 5#s over ideal and would like to be somewhere around the middle of that range.  Almost a decade ago I got down to 124 and around 20% body fat -- that was about as small as I could go without starting to look bony on my frame and risk having to lose muscle mass to drop additional pounds.  I'm pretty solidly a mesomorph with some endomorphic tendencies (after boob reduction I'm still a D cup...dammit!).  Frequently by the middle of Summer my weight is higher than it was earlier in the Spring, but my clothes are looser and my body fat is lower -- it doesn't take long before my quads start bulking up from miles on the bike, especially if I'm riding a lot of hills or mountain bike miles.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

Yes, I think there is a trend of accepting people as they are - thin or obese. I think it's probably because we are becoming a more tolerant society generally, so when we see a skinny or obese person, we're less likely to judge unless it's way beyond "normal".

I think you are mixing up two different concepts, though - what's pleasing in our culture to look at and what's healthy. (Assuming weight is the end all be all when it comes to "health". Even skinny people die for some perplexing reason). That someone might find my weight disgusting wouldn't bother me. Maybe since I'm a minority, I learned early in life that everyone is not going to find me attractive. That someone might look at my weight and assume I'm unhealthy would bother me but only slightly.  I would wonder how they could tell just by looking at me what only by doctors know.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

that said, socially acceptable does not equal healthy.  more people are just plain fat now. sugar coating it doesn't help the issue. diabetes is skyrocketing for a reason.  People don't need to be waifs, but pretending it is fine to be overweight so people don't get their feelings hurt is like giving everyone a trophy.

Bingo! Also, what I hate about those pictures and sayings is that they're essentially coming from a person/community of persons who is looking for acceptance "as they are" and to not be shamed, yet in the process, they're shaming and putting down people who are not like they are. It's hypocritical. Sorry, I'll take my slim build over a muffin top any day.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Years ago, before I started running, my social community consisted of people that may have been heavier, may have smoked, may have drank, and may have consumed a lot of soda.  I don't remember them, though, and they're only a small part of my current social community.

I have a couple of family members that struggle and I'm sensitive to their challenges.  When they post on social media about things that I don't participate in or struggle with, I understand that the world as they see it through their lenses is different from the world I see it through my lenses.  So, I'm not surprised when their friends comments don't match my viewpoint.  I try not to be influenced by their viewpoint.  The subject could be weight, smoking, drinking, religious, wealth, political, etc.)

My social media posts try to reflect who I am and what my interests are.

Sometimes, though, I feel embarrased by so many 'athletic' posts that I'm associated with, as I know others may see it as a negative ("he's such a cocky jerk").  The reality is that I try hard to be viewed as 'normal' without letting people know that I'm addicted to exercise. Smile  I try to be sensitive to other people's sensitivities.

In reality, probably 80% of the people that I associate with throughout any given month are quite active.  The other 20% aren't.

Fifteen years ago, I couldn't even guess what that ratio was since I didn't care and I had other things that occupied my mind.  Likely, the 20% wouldn't care if posted more about my athletic training or my goals or my athletic thoughts.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Julia1971

I feel ya. I'm skinny but I have to really watch my diet to keep my body fat under 20%. Not worth it to fit in some arbitrary number. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die from either  a heart attack or a motorist I flip off. I'm okay with that.

Those target weight charts take into account ALL body types...so they show ideal weight range for the healthiest low weight that a pure ectomorph can carry (ie "string bean" build) as well as the highest weight that a pure mesomorph (larger bones, higher natural muscle mass) could be and still generally not be overweight.  An ectomorph and mesomorph of the same height and body fat could have VASTLY different weights and still be healthy, especially if that mesomorph is doing any significant amount of muscle-building work.

When I look at the "ideal weight" range for my height (just <5'4") I think it's generally something like 110-145.  I'm about 5#s over ideal and would like to be somewhere around the middle of that range.  Almost a decade ago I got down to 124 and around 20% body fat -- that was about as small as I could go without starting to look bony on my frame and risk having to lose muscle mass to drop additional pounds.  I'm pretty solidly a mesomorph with some endomorphic tendencies (after boob reduction I'm still a D cup...dammit!).  Frequently by the middle of Summer my weight is higher than it was earlier in the Spring, but my clothes are looser and my body fat is lower -- it doesn't take long before my quads start bulking up from miles on the bike, especially if I'm riding a lot of hills or mountain bike miles.