It figures... (Read 829 times)

Been training all winter long to run the Cherry Blossom 10-mile race next Sunday and had been feeling pretty good for the most part. Well...today 4 miles into my 5-mile run I am stopped dead in my tracks by a sharp pain in the middle of my left hamstring. I had to walk the last mile home because I could tell it was going to hurt to try and run again. I have never had trouble with my hamstrings in my life and now one week out from my big race it hurts! I did stop as soon as I felt the sharp pain and was able to walk home without too much trouble....I guess my questions is this: Do you think it would be possible to still run the race if the pain eases up over the next few days or am I pretty much screwed for next Sunday? Right now (3 hours after my run) is is sore and feels like a deep charley horse....I can walk on it but I know it's there. Tim
    ...back to your question. Smile I had a hamstring injury last year. In the middle of a speed workout I had a sharp pain that stopped me in my tracks. I still have slight issues with it and I blame that on how I never took enough time off to heal. Confused

Michelle

Timbodeener

Well, it does feel better and at this point I am planning on doing the race if it feels OK...I'll drop out if it hurts too bad. I have too much invested (time, effort and money) at this point to not at least give it a try. I appreciate all the info everyone gave me here and I have been doing the massage (foam roller and the stick) and some gentle stretching which seems to be helping...today it is not near as noticible to me as it was yesterday. I'll take off again today and probably tomorrow then I think I'll try a slow short jog on Thursday to test it out....hopefully I'll be pain free. Thanks again and I hope your hammys feel better too! Tim