Prostretch? (Read 841 times)

Finished!

Anyone use one of these or know how to build a calf stretch aid? Stretching on the ground doesnt get me a good stretch, I'm starting to mash the carpet on my stairs (and I seem to slide a bit when I try to hang my heels off the step), so that isn't a great option...
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      pick your stretch have you tried using a rope or theraband as an aid to your floor stretches?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have one of these. Love it love it love it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think did's folks have one. His dad had some biomechanical issues and orthotics, so he used it. I told did that if his mom isn't using it I'd love it. I think that would help some of my PF issues, since they can be exacerbated by tight lower legs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

Jeff - that's exactly the thing I was looking at Smile I saw it at a running store and tried it and it really seemed to work, course I keep trying to tell myself I should not need a $25 piece of plastic to help stretch my calves....but there it is. Chenille, I haven't tried stretching my calves on the floor - mostly because I haven't thought to, and it seems like it would be difficult to isolate the calves while sitting. My main problem is it seems I have a lot of flexibility in my joints etc, so while my muscles can be tight, it takes a fairly aggressive stretch to be able to get my muscles stretched out if that makes sense.
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My main problem is it seems I have a lot of flexibility in my joints etc, so while my muscles can be tight, it takes a fairly aggressive stretch to be able to get my muscles stretched out if that makes sense.
              I think this is part of what I deal with, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff - that's exactly the thing I was looking at Smile I saw it at a running store and tried it and it really seemed to work, course I keep trying to tell myself I should not need a $25 piece of plastic to help stretch my calves....but there it is.
                I think it's money well spent. I've never gotten a better calf stretch than from this thing. They even have a two-fer model -- one that can stretch both calves simultaneously. I don't think that one is worth the money -- you're basically paying double the price because you're impatient.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The seated calf stretch from the links Chenille provided is the only stretch I do for my calves. Actually it's just about the only stretch I do at all. I use a dish towel and I start by trying to point my toes to my chin without pulling on the towel at all--I do that about 15 times each holding for 2-3 secs each time. That gets my calves loose and warm, then I do it again pulling gently on the towel for each 2-3 sec rep. I used to occasionally have minor achilles and/or PF issues. No more.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to occasionally have minor achilles and/or PF issues. No more.
                    Really? Hmmm...I need to look at that stretch. How long had you been running when you had those issues? k

~ Sarah Kay

Really? Hmmm...I need to look at that stretch. How long had you been running when you had those issues? k
                      I think I always had them to some degree but they were never bad enough to put me on the shelf until a bout of achilles tendonitis I had in fall of '02. I'm thinking I started doing that stretch and stopped doing all other stretching around the beginning of 2003 maybe? It's hard to remember. I did some reading on active stretching vs. passive stretching and whether stretching even makes sense for runners etc. I decided the stretching I was doing--all passive stretches like pushing the wall, hurdle stretches, etc.--was all wrong, probably doing no good or hurting me and so I stopped doing it and started doing this stretch only. I don't need to do it very often anymore, but if my feet or calves feel tight or start having weird pains, I break it out. Otherwise I do no stretching, just make sure to warm up really well and start every run very slowly.

Runners run

seated calf stretch I actually do a variation of these. I sit with legs outstretched, bend 1 leg until heel is at the level of the knee of the straight leg, and then use my hands to pull up on my foot. I can do that anywhere, and use that before- middle- and end of runs. To get a better stretch of my achilles, I move my heel as close to my body as I can (1 leg is still straight out) and then pull up. I also am dorsiflexing against the resistance of my hands. I also am too flexible to get a really good stretch doing standard calf/achilles type stretches.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group