Android Application that Integrates with RunningAHEAD (Read 2477 times)

derek

Everyone,

I've been working on an Android application that integrates with RunningAHEAD.  I've been working closely with Eric to get the integration working.  You can see some screenshots of what it looks like here: Handy Runner

In the mean time, I was looking for any users out there that would like to help beta test the application.  You wouldn't be able to automatically upload workouts to RunningAHEAD as yet, but the workouts are saved as GPX files so you can actually just grab them off your device's SD card and manually upload them to RunningAHEAD if you wanted.

The application will use the GPS on your Android device to track your run.  I do plan to add audio cues, but to do that, I would have to make the minimum Android version 1.6 and that would prevent Sprint HTC Hero users (like myself) and some others from being able to use the app.  I'll probably do that once Sprint rolls out the 2.1 release for the Hero.

If you wish to test the application, send me a private message here in RunningAHEAD with your email address.  Later this week, probably on Thursday, I'll gather all the interested people and send you all an email with some instructions.

Please note that you shouldn't use this as your sole mechanism to track your runs as yet.  The type of feedback I'd be interested in getting is as follows:

• How is the GPS accuracy?
    • Any features you think are needed
    • Anything that doesn't work
    • Anything you don't like and find difficult or confusing to use

Derek

PS: Forgot to mention in my original post, but this application will be free when released.

Derek

Is it only for use with GPS?  I seriously doubt I'll ever run with my Android phone, but it would be cool to more easily be able to enter runs in RA, see stats etc, than by using the browser.

Runners run

The shirtless wonder

I have the same feelings as mikeymike.  My droid is too large, heavy, and expensive to run with but I'd love to enter runs with a native app.  The browsers I've tried on android don't render RA too nicely.  A native app would be fantastic.
        derek

Is it only for use with GPS?  I seriously doubt I'll ever run with my Android phone, but it would be cool to more easily be able to enter runs in RA, see stats etc, than by using the browser.

You don't have to use the GPS.  You'll be able to view your stats and recent runs and manually enter workouts instead of having to use a browser.  That is only partially implemented as of today, but it'll have that functionality by the time I actually release the app.

Derek

Derek

derek

Here is what the RunningAHEAD integration section would look like:

It would display your weekly stats for the last 5 weeks and the section below will display your last 20-30 workouts.

The button at the top would be used when you want to manually create a workout entry.

Derek

That looks really cool.  I don't think I'd make a good beta tester for this phase since I don't run with my phone but I'd be happy to test the RA integration when you get to that point.

I'm on an HTC Eris (Verizon's version of the Hero) which currently runs Android 1.5 though rumors of 2.1 being pushed to the Eris are running rampant.

Runners run

I can beta test - I have a garmin 305 as well and typically carry my android in my belt for safety so I can run both and compare outputs even. I loves me data.

Lazy idiot

That looks really cool.  I don't think I'd make a good beta tester for this phase since I don't run with my phone but I'd be happy to test the RA integration when you get to that point.

+1 

Awesome work, Derek.  Good to see you back here at RA. 

Tick tock

The shirtless wonder

I will offer to beta test but I won't be running with my phone.

Will you be making the source code available?

I have a droid and would love to see this happen. I could take my phone for a walk with my dogs to measure it vs. my Garmin but also do not run with it. The app looks really great from that pic and it'd make my OCD log-studying much more bearable.
                      derek

Will you be making the source code available?

I hadn't thought about it, but I probably wouldn't be making the source code available.

Derek

Derek

Motorola Backflip is stuck with 1.5 until 3rd quarter. :-(  Bummer.  Can't help with any testing until after that.

I'd love to use it as well, but I wouldn't be carrying it during runs.  Sure would be nice to have a better way to enter my runs than using the browser on the phone.  Love the idea!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

The shirtless wonder

I hadn't thought about it, but I probably wouldn't be making the source code available.

Derek

Fair enough it's (obviously) your call.  Either way I'm a software guy so I should be a decent tester.  We've been playing around with Android a lot at work lately (but I haven't been).

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I'm on an HTC Eris (Verizon's version of the Hero) which currently runs Android 1.5 though rumors of 2.1 being pushed to the Eris are running rampant.

Ditto on the Eris - though I thought the rumors had kinda died off regarding going to 2.1. The Eris is being end-of-lifed in May, but then apparently someone's found a 2.1 alpha for it, with the Sense UI.

I carry it on bike rides, and I've used the GPS at the same time. I'd give it a shot...

did

fredfinn

Hey Derek,

I'm a beta tester, haha, without knowing it. I downloaded your app yesterday for my Moto Droid with 2.1. I ran with it last night and really like the application! I'm having trouble uploading, how do you want bug submissions etc.?

Thanks,

Fred