10 mile race with a pacer (Read 160 times)

Fanilow

I am running in the soldier field 10 miler this coming weekend. I wanted to run it in under 2 hours, but I haven't trained enough and as you can see by my log, I don't have the speed. I was checking out the pacers and there is a 2 hour pacer who is doing a run/walk 5/1. Although I don't run a lot of miles, I do run the whole time. Do you think I could keep up with the 2 hour pacer since it's a run/walk?

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

an amazing likeness

Sure.  10mi in 2 hours is 5mph. For most folks, a brisk walk is 3.5 - 4mph. So the running sections aren't going to be much more than brisk walking pace.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Fanilow

Thanks! That makes sense. Smile

2014 goals

Dream Maker

You can also use the pacer as a guide if you prefer to run instead of run walk.

2 hours is 12 min/mile.

I pace and I usually do a running only but at pace groups around there, there's usually people run/walking and people running straight through.  You'll probably see other people doing that.

Fanilow

Thanks! I don't think I can run a 12mm for two hours straight. I was hoping they had a 2:10 pacer because I think I could do that. But when I saw the run/walk pacer I thought I might be able to swing it since I could walk some.

2014 goals

jeffdonahue

Just keep in mind that if he is a 2:00 pacer, then the run portions will actually have to be faster than 12mm pace to make up for the walk breaks.

Fanilow

That was exactly the reason for my question. Smile I know I can't keep up a 12 minute pace for ten miles of straight running. But maybe I could do 10 miles of 11:30 for five minutes and then walking for one. Since I only run when I run, I don't know how adding in a minute of walking in will factor in.

2014 goals

DDXD

Slower than I look

I think it depends on how that 11:30 feels for you.  You're concerned about holding a 12m/m pace for 2 hours so I'm assuming that gets you winded after a few miles?  I think there is a chance that even with the walk breaks, you may get worn down by later phases of the race.  My feeling though is to go for it.  Even with the low mileage, you still have some runs with decent time on your feet and with a little effort you might be able to pull it off.  For some people it seems that the walk breaks are more of a mental thing; they are able to add more effort to their runs knowing that a walk break is coming.  Mabybe that will be the case for you.

Fanilow

You are correct, I can last about 3 miles at an 11:30 to a 12 minute pace before I get winded and tired. I have a nasty habit of starting out too fast in races and paying for it later. I wish they had some slower pacers to keep me in line, I'm not good at pacing myself yet.

I am going to try to keep up with this pacer and maybe it will be a mental thing for me, like you said, and I can give it some extra effort and pull it off.

Thanks for all the help! I love this place.

2014 goals

If your log is accurate, I don't suggest that you just run until you're too tired and have to walk. You're trying to run a race that is pretty darn close to your weekly mileage. Why don't you plan to mix walking and jogging at scheduled intervals the whole way? It might make for a more pleasant race experience.  Good luck. I think it's suppose to cool off a bit this weekend for that race. That will certainly help.

Fanilow

Thanks! I saw that it's supposed to cool off and that will help. I agree with you, I don't want to wear myself out completely and then be miserable through the race. I have a really hard time walking unless I'm really struggling. I have an app on my phone that will let me set up intervals. Maybe I could do a 5/1 and just try to run a 13 or 14 minute pace. I think I can manage that for 10 miles as long as I don't start out too fast.

2014 goals

Fanilow

The race was so much better than I expected!

I had to choose between trying to keep up with the pacer and having a 2:00 finish or running the entire race and going for a 2:10. I decided to run it and the most amazing things happened.

1. I ran the entire race. Even squeezed a cup of gatorade so I didn't have to slow down and didn't choke to death or end up wearing it. Smile

2. I had a negative split. Every one of my last five miles (11:29 to 11:43) was faster than every one of the first five (12:00 to 13:11). The only reason I can come up with is the second half is a narrower path than the first, so I had to pass a lot of walkers and slower runners. I speed up when passing someone so maybe that helped my time.

3. My chip time is 2:02:12. At mile 7 when the Endomondo lady said I was still running under 12 m/m and expected to finish in 2 hours, I actually cried. Didn't stop running though! I knew at that point I was going to make it and do much better than I thought was possible.

I'm sure the cooler weather played a huge part in my success. It was just perfect running weather: overcast in the upper40's/lower 50's. I started slow and I know that made a difference. I usually dart out the gate at an 11 m/m and wear myself out by the end of mile 2. This time, I managed to take it easy through mile 3.

Clearly, I have a lot to learn if I am completely unaware of what I can accomplish. Plus my mile times are all over the place. But, I am really happy with the way this race turned out. Even though I feel like total poo and I hurt all over, I'm planning a half next. Woot!

Thanks for all the advice. It really helped!

2014 goals

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations MarinaD!  I was re-reading the thread and thinking to myself, I bet she can run 12-minute miles for two hours.  Sure enough!  Race magic (and all that training) made it happen! Smile

DDXD

Slower than I look

Nice job, congrats!!  With a little confidence, the sky is the limit.  Good luck on training for a half; you should have no problem with it.

Fanilow

Thank you both!! I heart race magic.

2014 goals