currently training for first half but looking to start training for my first full (Read 582 times)

My husband and I are in the middle of our training program for our first half which is on April 22.  We are thinking about doing our first full in October.  My question is after our half in April should we take a few down weeks then start at the level we were training at for our half and start right in with a full training program?  Or... should we ramp things down for a few months and start to build again?  We are both new to running.  I have been running for just under a year and he has only been running about 6 months.  Our goal for both is just to get to the start line healthy and finish, we don't care about our times.  Any advice would be welcomed!  Thanks all.

Kathy

I'd take a week or two off training, but still running when I feel like it after the race.  

Since there is just enough time between April and October  (about 20 weeks) for a full training, likely will continue what I was doing prior to the HM until the Marathon plan you choose catches up to you and then follow the plan.

Scout7

Recover from the first one.  My recover has usually been one or two days off, then start with short easy runs, and building based on how I feel.  After that, start the training plan for the next race.  Find one that will start you at or a little below where you were when you did the half.

vegefrog

Recover from the first one.  My recover has usually been one or two days off, then start with short easy runs, and building based on how I feel.  After that, start the training plan for the next race.  Find one that will start you at or a little below where you were when you did the half.

I just ran my first full marathon, and I have a half in April. I really want to PR in April which means <2:00:00 for me. I'm doing excatly what Scout7 said Smile I think it's a good plan, and you will have plenty of time to incorporate your full training plan based on the base mileage you have already gotten from your half!!