Durability of Kinvara 2 vs. Kinvara 1 (Read 1420 times)

Slice

Has anyone noticed a difference in the durability of the Kinvara 2 when compared to the Kinvara 1? I put 350+ miles on my first Kinvaras before I retired them. Now I'm about 20 lbs lighter but running much faster and longer distances and my Kinvara 2's feel shot at just around 175 miles. Anyone else had this experience? I'm needing new shoes and debating finding something to replace my beloved Kinvaras. I'm all for new shoes, but I need more miles out of 'em than that.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

thewillhoit

I never ran in the Kinvara 1, but I am in live with the Kinvara 2, mostly because of the durability.  My first pair I put on about 400, second pair about 600.  

Why do you say they are shot?  

Slice

My knees hurt after my last 3 runs in them but not after I run in my other shoes. Nothing acute, just achy kneecaps & tired legs. They look a bit better than my others, but not much.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

I'm creeping up on 550 miles on my current pair.  They are going to have to go soon because I have worn completely away a couple of triangles of harder rubber in the forefoot.  For the 65 or so buck you can get a pair for at runningwarehouse.com you cant beet them.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Go Pre!

This is my main shoe. The 1's and 2's are almost identical. Mainly cosmetic updates according a friend at Saucony.

They do not last long, as most minimal shoes don't. I run for about 400 miles in them and move on. They'er generally cheaper than other shoes so the cost per mile is on par.

If they don't change them much I may run in these shoes forever.

xor

Tangent - it is good to see shoes like the kinvara and some of the NB minimus shoes that are a wee bit cheaper than beefier shoes.  It puzzles me to see something like the Merrell Barefoot line with $175 price tags.  Whaaaaaa?

mikeymike

I agree with Daddyo--1 and 2 are basically identical and are equally durable (or not).  I am closing in on 500 miles on my current pair of 2's.  They are about done.  But they are a good value--I generally find them for under 70 USD.

Runners run

Go Pre!

I recently bought 3 pairs of the 1s on clearance. $69. Then, found a mispriced pair of 2s the same. I'm set for a while Smile

Go Pre!

Oh, and I am liking the Cortanas. Same shoe as the KInvara with a bit more sole and beefier. Pricier too but I'd say I'll get 600+ miles out of them. They're good for long runs and recovery.

Kalsarikännit

Oh, and I am liking the Cortanas.

+1

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I recently bought 3 pairs of the 1s on clearance. $69. Then, found a mispriced pair of 2s the same. I'm set for a while Smile

Right now, Men kinvara 2s are 69.94 at runningwarehouse... regular price.  Plus 15% running club discount if you qualify.

Cortanas are quite a bit more, alas. (115)

Kalsarikännit

Cortanas are quite a bit more, alas. (115)

I was lucky.  I got mine on e-bay for $20.  Some woman had put less than 20 miles on them before breaking her foot in an equestrian accident.  They look like they had never been outside a box.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mikeymike

runningwarehouse is generally my source for 60 dollar Kinvaras as well...unfortunately for Daddyo, I don't think the are allowed to ship to Canada.

Runners run

xor

runningwarehouse is generally my source for 60 dollar Kinvaras as well...unfortunately for Daddyo, I don't think the are allowed to ship to Canada.

Ah so.  I was trying to remember if Monsieur Pere-io was Canadian.  I thought maybe.  Should have gone with my gut.

And so I suspect my version of $69 may not be his.

Only thing I'll add is that it wasn't the sole or tread wearing out that made me retire my first K2s after ~330 miles. They just felt flat and my shins and calves ached badly for 2 easy runs in a row. In between I ran 13 miles in a new pair with no issues. They just broke down. But still good value at $64/pair. But there really should not be a durability difference between the 1 and 2. They're pretty much identical. 

I tried the Brooks Pureflows and liked how they felt. Same 4mm drop but seems like a more durable shoe. Try those or, as suggested, the Cortana or Mirage for a bit more durability. But that does come with a bit of added weight.