Cycling shoes question (Read 3439 times)

Lisa3.1

I got the Shimano M324 pedals, and I have yet to buy cycling shoes. I tried the Pearl Izumi X-Alp 's. Just curious as to what cycling shoes you guys have Thanks.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I got the Shimano M324 pedals, and I have yet to buy cycling shoes. I tried the Pearl Izumi X-Alp 's. Just curious as to what cycling shoes you guys have Thanks. Modified to add: It would be nice to have the kind that is great for cycling and running.
      Based on the pedals you purchased and the shoe that you looked at already, I'm thinking that you must be doing primarily mountain biking, correct? I road bike (for triathlon) and have Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals set up on my road bike. My new tri bike (which I'm hoping to have in my possession in about two weeks) will have Look Keo Carbon pedals. I'm going through a shoe transition at the moment. Originally started out wearing Pearl Izumi Vagabond and am moving in to a new pair of Sidi T2 Carbon Composite. I'm not sure there is ANY cycling shoe out that that would be good for cycling and running (like you mentioned). I can't even imagine running in cycling shoes... soles are so stiff in order to increase energy transfer. If you are going to run, I would change shoes.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Lisa3.1

Based on the pedals you purchased and the shoe that you looked at already, I'm thinking that you must be doing primarily mountain biking, correct? I road bike (for triathlon) and have Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals set up on my road bike. My new tri bike (which I'm hoping to have in my possession in about two weeks) will have Look Keo Carbon pedals. I'm going through a shoe transition at the moment. Originally started out wearing Pearl Izumi Vagabond and am moving in to a new pair of Sidi T2 Carbon Composite. I'm not sure there is ANY cycling shoe out that that would be good for cycling and running (like you mentioned). I can't even imagine running in cycling shoes... soles are so stiff in order to increase energy transfer. If you are going to run, I would change shoes.
        these pedals are for someone who wants to ride with cleats, but also wants an option to wear non cycling shoes. it is made for both road and mtn, most use for road. and the same for shoes.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I were to buy a pair of cycling shoes today I'd be looking at the Keen commuter sandals (the few rides I have done this Summer have been in my Keen sandals with toe clips). I could put wool socks under them for warmth during the Spring and Fall, and they are nice and wide. I have a hard time finding cycling shoes to fit (they are usually pretty narrow)

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

If I were to buy a pair of cycling shoes today I'd be looking at the Keen commuter sandals (the few rides I have done this Summer have been in my Keen sandals with toe clips). I could put wool socks under them for warmth during the Spring and Fall, and they are nice and wide. I have a hard time finding cycling shoes to fit (they are usually pretty narrow)
            Holy smokes! These are awesome! I never even knew they existed. Thanks a lot Kirsten, you in essence just handed me a bill for $115. Right now I'm using Nike Altea's. I like them well enough, although I'm a newbie cyclist and don't have much to compare them with.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy smokes! These are awesome! I never even knew they existed. Thanks a lot Kirsten, you in essence just handed me a bill for $115.
              Ha! Hey, do a Google Products search...I know I saw them a while back at a place for $85. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Lisa3.1

You mean these? That's awesome, I got the Keen Venice H2 Sandals as per your recommendation, and it was the best purchase I ever made on any shoes, honestly, and I have no doubts that these commuter sandals would do also. Thanks so much Kirsten!

jules2

No such thing, the only compromise is that for Tri's and Duathlons you can get pedals that you can use with running shoes to avoid having to change shoes in transition but I wouldn't use them for training.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Lisa3.1

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes, those look like medieval torture devices! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You mean these?
                        Yep! I <3 my keens, too. i buy clothing specifically to match my red sandals so that i don't have to wear different shoes all summer long. i could not be happier...they get dirty or stinky and in the washing machine they go, only to come out looking brand new, again. :) my="" keens,="" too.="" i="" buy="" clothing="" specifically="" to="" match="" my="" red="" sandals="" so="" that="" i="" don't="" have="" to="" wear="" different="" shoes="" all="" summer="" long.="" i="" could="" not="" be="" happier...they="" get="" dirty="" or="" stinky="" and="" in="" the="" washing="" machine="" they="" go,="" only="" to="" come="" out="" looking="" brand="" new,="" again.=""></3 my keens, too. i buy clothing specifically to match my red sandals so that i don't have to wear different shoes all summer long. i could not be happier...they get dirty or stinky and in the washing machine they go, only to come out looking brand new, again. :)>

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

I have two pairs that I use (I ride MTB). Sidi Dominators (Crank Brothers 4 Ti Eggbeater pedals) for the Hardtail and Adidas Hematomas (Shimano PD-747 pedals) for the All Mountain bike. The adidas are 3/4 height and have something akin to steel in the toebox. You won't hurt your feet in these shoes but they weigh a ton!
                          Lisa3.1

I have two pairs that I use (I ride MTB). Sidi Dominators (Crank Brothers 4 Ti Eggbeater pedals) for the Hardtail and Adidas Hematomas (Shimano PD-747 pedals) for the All Mountain bike. The adidas are 3/4 height and have something akin to steel in the toebox. You won't hurt your feet in these shoes but they weigh a ton!
                            Ken, I appreciate that, I am still in the market for cycling shoes. So far, I tried the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek, but am not settling with one yet. Kirsten, I am having no such luck finding those sandals. I wear a size 5.5 in sandals.