Hokas again... (Read 251 times)

fimmx

I want to like Hokas, I really do. Every Hoka wearing person I've talked to personally seems to love them. They sing the praises of  how relaxed their legs overall felt after miles and miles and miles on the roads and trails. But every time I've tried them on, there's something about them that just does not fit right. The tongue hits my ankle just every so slightly wrong that I can't get beyond that discomfort.

What say you? Do you like your Hokas? Did you take the time to get used to them? Do you have any personal Hoka success/failure stories?

I'm particularly intrigued again by Hokas after listening to JB Benna saying in his TRT FKT that he didn't even feel fatigue in his legs till about 105+ miles into his adventure!

Docket_Rocket

I love my Hokas.

Which Hokas are you wearing?  I don't like the Tarmac much, but I love my Bondi Bs.  Also, they are not made for every kind of person so some people might just never like them.  I hope you do eventually.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

The reason why I do not like the Tarmacs is because the tongue hits me in an area that I don't like and for some reason the bottom of my feet hurt a bit when I run in them.  That's why I asked which Hokas are you running in because another style might work better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Best Present Ever

I have a hard time with the super cushion-y feel.  I love walking in them, but I always feel like I'm running over mattresses when I run with them.

the first time i bought hokas was the last time i bought anything else. i am a house of cards and hokas are the only ride i can run without crumbling into a 52 pick-up.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

fimmx

I went to ZombieRunner and tried on a few. I think it was the BondiB, Stinson, Tarmac and they even had the Rapa Nui in. One of them was better than the other, but it didn't wow me enough to take more time over hanging out in them. Hokas are a bit pricey to experiment with, but I suppose if they absolutely didn't work for me, I could maybe sell them on eBay or something. Smile I'd love to hear more before and after stories.

fimmx

Oh and then I saw the Topo shoes and ended up picking this pair instead - http://www.topoathletic.com/collections/train-rx.

reason #3 as to why frustrated glam-rockers shouldn't be involved in the design process:

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Docket_Rocket

I went to ZombieRunner and tried on a few. I think it was the BondiB, Stinson, Tarmac and they even had the Rapa Nui in. One of them was better than the other, but it didn't wow me enough to take more time over hanging out in them. Hokas are a bit pricey to experiment with, but I suppose if they absolutely didn't work for me, I could maybe sell them on eBay or something. Smile I'd love to hear more before and after stories.

I was not enthused with the Hokas during the first 2-3 runs but at one point I realized it was like I had not run at all.  I've done MLRs and marathons in them.  I feel like I didn't run anything other than a regular run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Never heard of the Topos.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Ostrich runner

I had decent luck doing a couple longer races in them. And I do say luck, because it always felt like they were trying to injure me whenever the trail was the slightest bit off camber. I never wear them anymore. I probably would in some instances, but I also had an issue with them rubbing on my big toe. I do like having extra cushion over 20 miles, but I think there are probably less ridiculous options out there.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I would wait (or pre-order) the Conquest (Hoka) which will have better sole durability.  Should be coming out in a week or so, according to thetrishop.com     I love all my Hokas- Bondi B might be better as far as the tongue issue.  It does take a few runs to get used to them. I had the bottom of the foot discomfort for a few initial runs.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

I tried the Bondi's but they aggravated my achilles. Returned to my minimals (NB Minimus) and all is well. Not a fan as they were not for me. Couldn't feel the road.

I know others love and swear by them. Just like others love Vibrams and Newtons and so on and so on. Different courses for different horses.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . . but I always feel like I'm running over mattresses when I run with them.

I haven't tried them on, but I suspected the above . . . and I can't imagine the appeal.  I had moonboots back when.  I think I'm done with ultra-cushion for the rest of my life.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

I haven't tried them on, but I suspected the above . . . and I can't imagine the appeal.  I had moonboots back when.  I think I'm done with ultra-cushion for the rest of my life.

The problem is that all the cool kids wear them.  ALL THE COOL KIDS.  So I keep trying.