Changing account info/profile (Read 101 times)

Hip Redux

I can't seem to do anything with my profile (avatar, profile pic) because it defaults to asking me for my "new" password (which I wasn't changing).   I enter the password and then it just goes back to the main profile page.

eric :)

Hi Oski 2.0,

I am unable to reproduce the problem so I suspect it is browser specific.  Which browser and version are you using?

eric Smile

Hip Redux

It's Google Chrome.   Version 35.0.1916.114 m

Hrm... I don't suppose you have auto complete turned out and the password field is populated?

Also, you don't need to enter your current password unless you're changing your password.

Hip Redux

Hrm... I don't suppose you have auto complete turned out and the password field is populated?

Also, you don't need to enter your current password unless you're changing your password.

Yeah, that's why it's weird that it's asking me for the password because I'm not changing it.  I don't think I have any autocomplete on.

Here's a little more detail to what I'm doing - Go to options -> Account Info.  Click on My Profile, edit the profile page (let's say, change the photo).  Hit save.  It dumps me to that above photo asking for my new password.

I did exactly what you wrote but still doesn't happen.  What operating system are you using?  We might have to look at what your browser is sending to the server when you click save next.

Hip Redux

Windows 7

So I logged in via IE and it worked.  It must be a Chrome thing, I guess!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've run into the same issue with Safari on my Mac.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I get the same thing, but in my case Chrome is definitely auto populating my current password.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

BeeRunB

I have the same sort of issue when using Safari  (Version 7.0.3) on Mavericks OS. If I do this:

Options

Account Info

My screen name is filled with my email address, and then can't make any changes. there is a red *UNAVAILABLE to the right of the screen name text box.

If I try to make a change to signature, and press SAVE, I'm taken back to account info page and it says in red at the top of the page:

"Name is longer than 16 characters."

Because my email address is in the screen name box.

If I try to change what's in the screen name box to my current username, it won't go through because it wants a new password.

On Firefox, everything works fine, and it says Jimmyb in the screen name. So, I use that when making changes. Man, I can't believe there's still so much of a difference in browsers that webmasters still have to deal with coding so that the website works on each properly.

Thanks, Eric.

Thanks everything for chiming in!  Your comments back up my auto complete theory.  I think I can fix it by disabling auto complete for all fields on that page.

Web development is a hodge podge of technologies.  Testing a web page generally involves testing against the last two versions IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.  There are plenty of other browsers but I don't explicit support them because I don't have the time.  Each browser has its own set of quirks.  The differences aren't as great with the latest versions because they adhere better to the latest standards.  Still, each have its own set of "features" such as auto complete on WebKit based browsers such as Chrome and Safari cause issues.  Auto complete is a nasty one because I don't know what the browser will put in the fields.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Makes complete sense, as this is a relatively new issue for me and I've not been using Mavericks for long.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Thanks everything for chiming in!  Your comments back up my auto complete theory.  I think I can fix it by disabling auto complete for all fields on that page.

Web development is a hodge podge of technologies.  Testing a web page generally involves testing against the last two versions IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.  There are plenty of other browsers but I don't explicit support them because I don't have the time.  Each browser has its own set of quirks.  The differences aren't as great with the latest versions because they adhere better to the latest standards.  Still, each have its own set of "features" such as auto complete on WebKit based browsers such as Chrome and Safari cause issues.  Auto complete is a nasty one because I don't know what the browser will put in the fields.

Safari's autocomplete is the problem.  I just erased the RA username and pass from its list and then didn't save when logging back in, and the options fields worked as they should. Then I logged out, then logged back in, but this time saving the username and password, and Safari autofilled those fields inappropriately.  There's my troubleshooting practice for the day. Thanks, Eric.

I looked into fixing the problem last night and came to the conclusion that it cannot be done using standard methods because Google changed Chrome's behavior in December.  The only way is to add code that clears the password fields after the page is loaded.  It's a hack and I don't like it because this is the exact kind of code that web developers should strive to avoid.  Thus, the research continues.

eric Smile

Just started happening to me too; I'm using Safari on a Mac OS X 10.8.5.