Changing direction on a track? (Read 820 times)

Loose Cannon

Hi, I am so new to running that I did my first C25K day today, with Robert Ullrey's podcast. Actually, I'm doing more of a "Bed to 5K" since I'm not running the full 60-second increments but only forcing myself to run/jog/plod at some point during the 60-second intervals since I'm so unfit. I'm a 5-0" female at 199 lbs, carrying most of my weight in my belly, which should explain the plodding. A positive note is I got some kick-butt shoes from a local running store. Anyway, the track at my gym is so small that it actually takes 24 laps to make a mile. It also goes slightly up- and then downhill at the corners. Even though I'm mostly walking, and not very fast at that (with my short legs, 3 mph is very brisk) should I still worry about changing direction every now and then? I don't know if that's even allowed at my gym; I only ever see people going one way. Any suggestions for me? I'd much rather use the treadmill because the track goes around the fitness equipment and I feel like the people on the equipment are watching me, but I'm one of those who is afraid to let go of the treadmill for fear of flying off the back. I appreciate all feedback.
    Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
      I wouldn't worry about it at the limited mileage of the C25K. I once did a 22 mile long run on a high school track with no problems (other than the fact I couldn't walk a straight line for a week Wink). Get outside as soon as you can though, it's a lot more interesting than running on an inside track or on a treadmill. Tom
      obiebyke

ladyveg, Good for you for starting! I wouldn't worry about changing direction, either, but maybe just try the treadmill? Start it slow enough so that there's no way you can fall off the back, then speed it up as your comfort increases. But if it's too scary, the track is WAY better than holding on to the treadmill handles. Join the C25K group and keep us updated!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Changing direction on the track may be akin to entering the freeway going the wrong direction....look out for irate drivers.
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
          BTY

"only forcing myself to run/jog/plod at some point during the 60-second intervals since I'm so unfit" Great - You are doing exactly what you should be doing - starting at a level that you can "do it" today and come back in two days and do it again. You'll be surprised at how quickly you will improve if you don't overdo. I'll bet that somewhere at your gym, there is a little sign indicating the direction that people should be running/jogging/plodding/walking in; it probably changes every other day so that if you run/walk 3x per week, you'll get the variety of going in different directions every other time. I trained on an indoor track (13 laps to the mile) for a half marathon last winter, and ran 16 miles on that track one Saturday morning. I never found any need to change directions during a workout. Just take it very easy on the turns - not a bad idea to walk the turns and (eventually) jog the straights. Brian

I'll disagree slightly with everybody and recommend that you do go in the other direction now and again. That being said, you need to bear in mind: 1. There may be rules about which way you go - make sure you follow them. (Some tracks have clockwise on even days and counter clockwise on odd days or something similar, but not all do so be sure to check.) 2. If nobody is on the track, then feel free to do whatever you want, but be ready to conform to the rules if somebody else wants to use it at the same time as you. 3. Some tracks may have walking lanes that go in the opposite directions as the running lanes. No matter which direction they go, be sure you know which lanes are which. On an outdoor track, the walking lanes are usually to the outside, but on an indoor track (especially small ones like the one that you are using) the walking lanes are usually to the inside. That doesn't have anything to do with direction, but is good to bear in mind to prevent a collision. 4. At the mileage that you are likely to be doing, you probably have nothing to worry about. As you get into better shape in the years to come, you can stress your legs in an unnatural way and cause an overuse injury by always making tight turns in the same direction.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Loose Cannon

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. I think on Wednesday I'll find one of the trainers and ask if there's a rule regarding direction on the track. At least at my low speed if I collide with someone, I shouldn't do too much damage! Wink I might also ask if they have open gym if I can walk/run around the gymnasium instead, wouldn't that be preferable? I live in Wisconsin and don't have the right clothes for running outside right now, so it will be a learning experience in the spring to go from tight circles to actually running on the road or trail!
                Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I live in Wisconsin
                  Automatic cool points! Smile I grew up in WI and have lived in MI since I was 20 (moved here almost 15 years ago). I miss my cheese... Cry *waves from across the lake* Good luck to you. I got my start with C25k...it's a fantastic way to ease into regular running. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I live in Wisconsin and don't have the right clothes for running outside right now, so it will be a learning experience in the spring to go from tight circles to actually running on the road or trail!
                    It doesn't take much in the line of special clothing to run outside in the winter. I've been doing it here in Michigan for the last seven years and we get pretty much the same weather as you, just a day or two later. I normally wear a layer or two of long sleeve running shirts with an ordinary cotton jersey on top to break the wind and a layer or two of tights down below. The trick is to never wear cotton next to your skin and dress as though it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. You should be cold for the first mile if you are properly dressed. Winter running beats the heck out of the heat and humidity of the summer. Give it a try, you might like it. Tom
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Winter running beats the heck out of the heat and humidity of the summer.
                      Until it gets windy...ow! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Good luck in your running endeavors. I would also second changing direx when possible. A. You will be bored ****less going around in circles/ovals. B. I dunno, but I wonder about the possible biomechanics of such a tight place. I say this because I have run the hallways of my office building (on the night shift.) It's like a squared oval, oh yeah, rectangle, I think the kids are calling this shape. Anyway, I'd feel it in my knees. The hall's also carpeted, so perhaps that played into it. But 45 hall minutes was a lot, even changing directions. Even on a real track, I feel myself "winding up" with lots of one-way laps. Then again, I'm a Libra. Likes the balance. Also, don't worry about other people watching you. Who cares?