Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DoppleBock

I saw this on "Masters Running" user group. Dopple Bock September 396 YTD 3,254 Wow! I'd hate to see what you'd do in year that didn't include a summer of "slacking, drinkinking too much beer..." edit to add: ah...I picked right up on who you are for last 3 handles, but it took Obsessor's comment on other thread for it to sink in this time...so obvious too. Those senior "moments" are starting to last longer and longer. Stick around. I think you'll like it around here. Stay healthy and good luck at Whistle Stop.
    Jim ... I missed you too - Its great to reconnect -My newest handle - My favorite 5 miler is put on by a brewery and they have a Big Bock 200-219# and a Dopple Bock > 220# weight division. They also supply free Bock beer - Last year they went through 38 half barrels. I always promise I will not quality for these divisions, but I always still do Smile I have seen a few more people that I was missing, but I will let them have the fun to figure it out

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

vo2maxed

Hi, Found this site when I googled "sub 3 hour marathon". Set this as a goal to complete sometime in 2009. Good luck to all those other runners out there working on achieving their own goals!
        Hi, Found this site when I googled "sub 3 hour marathon". Set this as a goal to complete sometime in 2009. Good luck to all those other runners out there working on achieving their own goals!
        Welcome aboard. Do you have a target race or races? I assume you saw the list of 'hopefuls' Jim is keeping under the first post. It looks like about 2/3 of the hopefuls are shooting for 2008 and about a third of us for 2009. And on a different note, good luck this weekend Jim. Do you have a goal time? Is your '60's 1:26:33 pr in danger? John
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
        vo2maxed

Thanks, my target race is the Rotorua Marathon 2-May-09. That gives me about 7 months to try and get in the necessary shape, my previous best marathon time is 3hr 13m, however that was about four years ago so I have a bit of work ahead of me.
            Welcome v02maxed; you are on the list. Some of us have been posting a training recap at the end of each week. Feel free to do so if you like. Good luck. "And on a different note, good luck this weekend Jim. Do you have a goal time? Is your '60's 1:26:33 pr in danger? " Thanks John. An earlier post of your that included "Since Bob Glover (still one of my favorite running books for its simplicity) recommends making goals public..." caught my. One o my first running books was with Glover--I think it was "The Complete Runner". I eventually lost it during a move and forgot a lot of the details, but I know it was a good one. On making goals public, I do think that 1:26:33 is in serious danger of coming down. I'll predict a 1:25:55.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Hi Jim - good luck tomorrow - you look to be well set to break last year's time. I wish I was running it with you but it looks like surgery is on the cards for me to get this sports hernia sorted out. I am hoping to be back in action for Kaiser in Feb, and then I'll be looking for a good May/June marathon to shoot for that sub 3 that I had hoped to do at CIM. - Alan
              - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
              Lane

Jim-- would you please also add me to the list? I am going to attempt to run sub-3:00 at the GMAA Marathon in VT on the 18th. Thanks!
                kcam

I agree 100% about making your goals 'public'. Helps to keep you on target with your training. Back on page 1 (where I signed up for this goal) I said that I'd need, from the following two key races: Banana Chase 5K on Sept 14th - would LIKE to be <19:00 sanhoser="" r$r="" 1/2="" marathon="" on="" oct="" 8th="" -="" need="" to="" be="" around=""></19:00> Banana Chase was 18:58 and I'm gonna predict a 1:24:59 for tomorrows 1/2. I think I can do it - guess we'll see! Jim, see you in the morning. Even if I hit 1:25 tomorrow I'm still scared and doubting my ability to go sub-3 at SiValley. It'll be close. PS Jim: I am looking at 'The Complete Runner' on my bookshelf right now - NOT Bob Glover. "From the editors of Runner's Wold Magazine". BTW, how many running books are there with the word "Complete" in the title? I have 3 sitting right next to each other on the shelf. The Complete Marathoner (Joe Henderson), The Complete Book of Running (James E. Fixx) and The Complete Runner.
                    Hi Jim - good luck tomorrow - you look to be well set to break last year's time. I wish I was running it with you but it looks like surgery is on the cards for me to get this sports hernia sorted out. I am hoping to be back in action for Kaiser in Feb, and then I'll be looking for a good May/June marathon to shoot for that sub 3 that I had hoped to do at CIM. - Alan
                    Hi Alan; and good luck to you too. Sorry to hear about the hernia. I was very impressed with how hard you had worked to get ready for this marathon. Those were some serious miles you were logging. You will be back!
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Jim-- would you please also add me to the list? I am going to attempt to run sub-3:00 at the GMAA Marathon in VT on the 18th. Thanks!
                      Gotcha covered--some nice times you have. That 10-miler in June says you should get that sub-3 with room to spare. Good luck.
                        PS Jim: I am looking at 'The Complete Runner' on my bookshelf right now - NOT Bob Glover. "From the editors of Runner's Wold Magazine". BTW, how many running books are there with the word "Complete" in the title? I have 3 sitting right next to each other on the shelf. The Complete Marathoner (Joe Henderson), The Complete Book of Running (James E. Fixx) and The Complete Runner.
                        Ok, ok, Camet...do I get some credit for getting the first 4 letters right. It also has word "complete" in the description: The Competitive Runner's Handbook: The Complete Training Program for All Distance Running "I'm gonna predict a 1:24:59 for tomorrows 1/2" I'm changin'mine to 1:24:58 Evil grin
                        Lane

Gotcha covered--some nice times you have. That 10-miler in June says you should get that sub-3 with room to spare. Good luck.
                          Thank you... I have been tempted to start a thread asking if it's a reliable goal, but found that I did not want the truth if it turned out that I can't. You have lifted a giant burden Cool

Right on Hereford...

Thank you... I have been tempted to start a thread asking if it's a reliable goal, but found that I did not want the truth if it turned out that I can't. You have lifted a giant burden Cool
                            Not that I have ever run a sub-3 marathon, but dude! A 1:01:42 10-miler is money. You are wicked fast. And Ken, good luck tomorrow! Keep it controlled through 10k, then finish strong. I know you can do it!
                            kcam

I'm changin'mine to 1:24:58 Evil grin
                              OH NO HE DI'NT!!! It's on like Donkey Kong! Evil grin On second thought, Mind if I tuck in right behind you?! Dakota, I know you just did this sub 1:25 thing (and you kicked that door DOWN) so I'll take your advice and try to remember that during the race.
                              Lane

Not that I have ever run a sub-3 marathon, but dude! A 1:01:42 10-miler is money. You are wicked fast.
                                My worry has been though that I have been aided too much by my anaerobic system, which is why I have relatively quick times for the shorter distances. I am not as confident that the anaerobic system will help me nearly as much for the marathon, and so I have been worried that any calculator that I've seen would be ridiculously optimistic. For example, my 800 time predicts a 2:28 marathon, which I know at no point in my life have I ever been able to do. I guess it's just paranoia, but you guys def. helped me out. Thank you for the compliment and your confidence.