NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Just saw this on my FB feed NYCM No Baggage Policy.  I don't think I like this.

This is terrible. The fleece lined hoody sounds ok though..

No hotel key, phones clothes etc  to drop off and receive at the end. . Run with them or don't bring them. All clothing is to be donated.  It was cold on the morning that I ran NYC. Lying around Fort Wadsworth for 4 hours is brutal if your not prepared with clothing to toss away.

Julia, as far as my recollection of the race. DON'T race down the Verrazano Bridge during the 2nd mile.  By mile 14 the Queensboro Bridge is a grind into Manhattan. Then 5th Ave is a looong, very wide, straight gradual grade with humungous crowd support.

Mendeldave is the veteran though.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

jfa

Hope there's a way to have family/ friends at the finish line. They could bring our stuff.

Julia1971

Hmm.  Poncho.  I could do poncho.

We are gonna rock our fleece lined hooded ponchos!  Everytime I try to picture what that's going to look like, I end up smiling.  I have a feeling I may end up loving this more than my Boston jacket.

Julia1971

Julia, as far as my recollection of the race. DON'T race down the Verrazano Bridge during the 2nd mile.  By mile 14 the Queensboro Bridge is a grind into Manhattan. Then 5th Ave is a looong, very wide, straight gradual grade with humungous crowd support.

Thanks!  Yeah, the start on Verrazano and Queensboro in the middle seem like the worst of it to me, but this one guy has managed to rattle me since he's mentioned training for hills twice now.  Maybe it's also that "hill" means different things to different people?  That's what I'm going to tell myself.

I ran NYC last year. The crowd support certainly rivaled Boston, traversing the different burroughs was a thrill for a guy not from the east coast nor from a city. There were three big hills (all bridges). One at the start which you won't notice except in your split time (+15-25sec). One crossing into Manhattan at ~mile 14 (+30-60sec). This one was not an insignificant hill, folks were laboring and moving backward among the sub-3hr group. This hill is also followed by a glorious three mile+ descent down First Ave. The last hill was on the bridge into the Bronx around mile 19 (+20-40sec). I didn't consider it steep but it was somewhat sustained and folks around me were cracking badly, some walking. If you're running strong through here you'll pass dozens of slowing runners. If I remember there was a small rise in the Park around mile 24. Very short, but people were spent at this point.

I run hills and climb a lot b/c I live in the mountains. Just running hills isn't the best training in my opinion. What I find most effective in preparing for marathon-hills is to practice them when you're tired. If you run a medium long 12-14mi run during the week try to finish with four or five reps up a sustained hill (60+ sec). If you run just one 20mi long run during the week plan your run to meet a hill somewhere after the 90min. point. The hill need not be steep, it will feel steep because you're legs will be half-spent. Get familiar with climbing tired and it will be old-hat on race day. You'll be amazed at how many folks you'll motor past over a 200m stretch and you'll have greater confidence in your finishing strength over that final 10km.

foooster

This is terrible. The fleece lined hoody sounds ok though..

No hotel key, phones clothes etc  to drop off and receive at the end. . Run with them or don't bring them. All clothing is to be donated.  It was cold on the morning that I ran NYC. Lying around Fort Wadsworth for 4 hours is brutal if your not prepared with clothing to toss away.

sounds like my experience 2.58.

dean

#artbydmcbride

Marathon Finish Line Poncho

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Probably warmer than what I would have brought in a bag.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, but you get that hoodie/cape thing after the race, right?  The space blankets were fine the last 6 years I've run NYC before I got to my gym to shower, or to a restaurant to eat, or the subway to go home, depending on the year.  

The problem is the hours you're sitting on Staten Island in the cold, often damp morning.  I've worn multiple layers of sweats in the past to stay warm.  Now I need to donate all that or throw it away? It's BS.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

I wouldn't enter such a race - too much hassle - there's no shortage of marathons...

Thanks for the insight pr100. Your post has enlightened my being.

Julia1971

I'm disappointed.  I thought the hood would look more ridiculous.  Although, with my pea-sized head, it probably will look funny on me.

I've been hoarding clothes I wouldn't mind discarding and I have a couple sweat tops I don't mind parting with but no sweat bottoms.  I'd hate to buy a cheap pair of sweats just to toss them on race day, but it's looking like I may do just that.  I'm hoping the cryptic FB post last week about our hearing our complaints means they're going to reevaluate this no baggage check thing.

ETA:  I'm thinking I can just put an APB to my friends asking one of them if they have a set they can give me.  Problem solved.  See, this is not so bad.

#artbydmcbride

I was hoping they would look like the Snuggie.

Thousands of cult members descend on Central Park!!   Surprised

Runners run

Julia1971

I was hoping for a bunch of Little Red Riding Hoods or Ewoks.  These pictures are totally normal.  Well, except that woman still staring at her medal when the race was clearly over hours ago.

If you have not heard,the globe is warming, no sweats needed.