Need some suggestions/help related to back pain from running (Read 126 times)

sugarcult2

I've been running for about a year. Just 30 minutes a day, 2-3 times a week. When I ran my first 5K back in the fall, I had back pain for the first time. I occasionally got it while running since then but never bad enough that I had to stop and walk. I've been to a spine doctor and there were no problems or anything. During the past couple of times, it's gotten really bad where after 15 minutes in, i have to stop and walk the rest of the way. I'm here on the East Coast and it has been warm to hot on those times. I don't know if this is crazy but I'm wondering if maybe I'm breating too hard/wrong and it's pulling a muscle in my back and aggravating something. It never hurts when I'm doing anything else. Any help/suggestions/advice would be helpful. I'm just really disappointed that I can't run like I want to

Not sure what you mean by "spine doctor", but a sports chiropractor might be your best bet.  If the doctor you saw didn't evaluate you for leg length discrepancy, you weren't in the right place.

You can test the breathing too hard theory yourself, by going to a gym and doing a hard workout on a cardio machine.

zonykel

Many times, the part of the body that hurts isn't necessarily the one that needs fixing.

I'm going to take a wild guess here: if you over-stride and your leg is straight as it lands, then that's going to transfer a lot of force to the knee and/or lower back.

Try counting how many steps per minute you take when you run. (You can count either foot). If the number is less than 90, see if you can shorten your steps and increase the frequency (but maintain the same speed as before) until you hit around 90 (you don't have to get exactly 90... If it's 88 or 89 I wouldn't sweat it). This should help reduce the possibility of over-striding.

If it's your lower back that hurts, it may also be that you're arching your back somewhat.  If so, think about "running tall" -- as though you were suspended by a wire attached to the top of your head (or base of your neck, whatever).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

sugarcult2

If it's your lower back that hurts, it may also be that you're arching your back somewhat.  If so, think about "running tall" -- as though you were suspended by a wire attached to the top of your head (or base of your neck, whatever).

I have been running upright so that's not the problem. It has been in the middle of my back lately.

What's your arm carriage like?  (I got/get back pain or cramps when i carry a bottle of water or wear a Camelbak hydration vest.  Not from the weight -- I just carry my arms differently than when running empty-handed and without the pack.  YMMV.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

tweisner

Your back pain may not be from a problem in your back.  Weak hips, tight glutes, tight piriformis, difference in leg lengths can all cause pain in your back.  You need a good "running" person to see for your problem.  You may be weak on one side of your hips and tight on the other side.  That can cause major problems in your back.  If whoever you see only focuses on your back to try and find the problem, you are seeing the wrong person.  Sports chiro or a good "running" physical therapist.  By good "running" PT, I mean one that supports your running and tries to find a solution.  Not one that says "you should stop running", or "you just have a bad back".

don't give up.  I saw 4 different doctors before anyone figured out my back pain was due to all the things I just mentioned above.  Look into strengthening and stretching.  That is very important.

- itri - 

Revenge of the Nerd

Are you doing any core work?  The major motions used in running originate in or pass through the core (the girdle of muscle that surrounds your lower torso).  A strong core will help you stand taller and run longer.  Google "core workout".

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

retread57

IGet to a good physical therapist who does a comprehensive hands on evaluation.    We are highly trained in musculoskeletal evaluation.

Gayle  Patrice P.T.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree, some more evaluation work might be helpful.

DH had a spinal instability that had to be fixed surgically. It could only be diagnosed with x-rays.

Disc problems can cause back pain, sometimes that gets worse with more running, but usually they don't cause significant trouble unless you run very long distances or with a backpack.

Run for fun.

Sandy_Eggo

One simple solution that you may want to try is after your run or when you start to feel the pain, stretch your back/legs.  I either do child's pose (yoga) where you sit on the floor on your knees and the put your head on the floor with your belly on your legs.  Another stretch that helped me with back pain was to lay on my back and hug my knees as tight as I could.  Do both stretches for at least a minute and repeat as necessary.

While running, if I'd get back tightness, I'd basically do the "touch your toes" stretch (no bouncing!), but not when your heart rate is up or you could pass out.

And you need to work on your core.

"Jason is a good friend.  But not mine.  He's too ugly, stupid, and crazy."

zonykel

http://www.running-physio.com/backexercises/

i can't attest to the efficacy of the article's recommendations in the link above, but I thought it might be worth a read. It recently appeared on my Facebook timeline.

you have received lots of thoughts on this & any one(s) could be what is causing the back pain.  I've been running for a few years & running & focusing on strength training with proper technique has basically eliminated chronic back pain..(do have occasional back pain but that is caused by overdoing lifting boxes at work or overdoing it at home-yardwork)    when doing any type of "core work" you must find the right balance workling front & back of core, its not always about the abs or lifting as much weight as possible.  its much better & safer to use lower weights & proper technique.  any time form is compromised you need to lower the amt of weight.  also how is your posture?  do you walk or sit with proper posture or are you a sloucher?  do you have a stability ball?  lots of good exercises just using a stability ball can help tremendously to strength core (front & back).  This will help to even out anterior/posterior imbalances.  when watching tv or on the computer use a stabilty ball for sitting up straight & tall, this has really helped my wife with chronic back pain as well. be sure to make sure you get the proper size SB for you, one where when you sit, your knees & quads are an exactg 90 degree angle. if new to any kind of strength trainilng use very light weights and a very slow progression.  a little bit of discomfort or soreness is ok (and you will experience this with any type of new to you stress), pain is not!

Hip Redux

Consider also what you are doing the other 23 hours of the day when not running.   Your back is in constant use, so if you are abusing it with bad posture during the day, it may complain on your run when you tax it further.

ChiroRunner

I agree, some more evaluation work might be helpful.

DH had a spinal instability that had to be fixed surgically. It could only be diagnosed with x-rays.

Disc problems can cause back pain, sometimes that gets worse with more running, but usually they don't cause significant trouble unless you run very long distances or with a backpack.

There is SO much incorrect information in this statement!

Megan Zetter, chiropractic physician

Ultra Chiropractic & Wellness

Portland, OR.