How to race a 5k? (Read 321 times)

King of PhotoShop

Why thank you Ilene, and btw, I love that tagline!  Spareribs

Nashville Dog Runner

On a complete whim, I decided (at 4:30 AM) to try running a 5k.  Last time I did that was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.  So, I started reading this particular thread.  I always thought I was in an awkward spot because I am always alone in marathons and even in 5ks.  It was nice  to read this thread, particularly what Mr. Sparerib had to say.  I got 5th overall woman, but there weren't all that many and it was also cold today.  Thanks!

www.nashvilledogrunner.com

Bryant chase

Hello my name is Bryant and I'm 13. I just ran my first 5k last Saturday and my second today. I won both but I am trying to get better to compete with faster people. Do you have any training tips?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Aside from my two fastest 5Ks, which were peculiar because I felt good through 2 miles, I am usually fantasizing about dropping out somewhere in the second mile because it hurts so much. I know that I have to pick it up in the second mile, because otherwise I am fading, and after the 2 mile mark, for me it is all about pushing as hard as I can for the finish. I always like having someone in front of me as a target, that I can be trying to close on. Or if they are close behind me, or I think they are, the desire to not get caught is also helpful.

I have seen people say both positive and negative things about using watches. I tend to use one myself, but by the middle of the second mile, it doesn't matter much what it says any more; it is time to push as hard as I can manage for the rest of the race.

It is my guess that when someone like Genzebe Dibaba runs the 5000 on the track specifically for speed (i.e., a record attempt), as she did in Stockholm a month ago or so, she knows what splits she wants (c 35sec, in that case) and either she is watching them or her coach is yelling at her.  But that is obviously someone who starts off with a pretty firm game plan and a lot of confidence about her ability to run the goal pace.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Apparently I was wrong - from comments after Carlsbad this weekend:

“It was fast running for me today,” Dibaba said. “But I did not go out fast enough. I wasn’t looking at the times or my splits until the last minute.”

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.