Race Medals --- Why? (Read 692 times)

Feeling the growl again

Okay, another (practical!) reason to give finishers medals.

Let's say you finish the Pike's Peak Marathon.  The post-race beer has been cancelled due to flooding in town the week before.  So you head to The Loop for a celebratory Margarita.  Or two.  Each one the size of your head.  After you leave, you realize your otherwise empty stomach ain't handling things so well.  So you (discretely!) barf in the shrubbery and stretch out for a well-deserved rest.

Q) When the EMTs and cops show up, how are they supposed to know you're not just some random drunk ?

A) The finishers medal !  You're a very special drunk !

Speaking from experience??  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Earlier this year I ran a 5k that had a much better finishers gift instead of a silly medal.  The race was put on by a business and the race was a fund raiser for the girl scouts.  So instead of a useless finisher's medal (I wish every race would do away with them and give the money to whoever it was raising funds for or lower the prices) all finishers were given a package of girl scout cookies.  The best finisher's gift I have gotten.

I would take a box of Thin Mints over a finishers medal any day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

spinach

As I mentioned a couple times in this thread, I think the medals are pretty silly and I would be just as happy without the medals.  However, I recently just found the medal for the 1976 New York Marathon, the first of the five Burroughs course.  I also found the program for the race and a letter telling my unofficial time and the certificate with my official time in the race.  I will say that I am pretty happy that I saved all those things but I really don't want any more finishers medals.

Latent Runner

Yum; I'll take a chilled bottle of whole unpasteurized, unhomogenized (i.e. straight from the teat) milk to go with the Thin Mints.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Feeling the growl again

Yum; I'll take a chilled bottle of whole unpasteurized, unhomogenized (i.e. straight from the teat) milk to go with the Thin Mints.  Smile

Well my oldest daughter just signed up for Girl Scouts, so I will no longer need to scout around for a supplier.... Big grin

Latent Runner

Well my oldest daughter just signed up for Girl Scouts, so I will no longer need to scout around for a supplier.... Big grin

Cool, now all you need is a cow and you'll be good to go for the real milk.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

Cool, now all you need is a cow and you'll be good to go for the real milk.  Smile

Don't give her any ideas, I can't argue we have no place to put it....

Mysecondnewname

I dunno, dude--last time I had a box, I thought they weren't quite as good as in years past:

http://groceryfoodfight.com/2011/03/the-girl-scout-cookie-calamity/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Having a kid in both 4-H and Girl Scouts would be perfect!

#artbydmcbride

Don't give her any ideas, I can't argue we have no place to put it....

Turn that shooting range into a grazing pasture for your new cow!   Smile

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Turn that shooting range into a grazing pasture for your new cow!   Smile

That's exactly what it was when we moved in.  Smile

Latent Runner

That's exactly what it was when we moved in.  Smile

Use it as both, hey, with a good shot you can have cold real milk for the morning and steak for dinner.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

Use it as both, hey, with a good shot you can have cold real milk for the morning and steak for dinner.  Smile

Nah, we're still slowed down when we run the beer mile on my track from the roughness left by all the hoofprints.

But before there were cattle there it was an elk farm....now THAT would be right up my alley.