Suggestions on coming back (Read 684 times)

I thought I was coming back last week after an injury but it was not to be. A little over a week later I'm trying it again. It's easy to figure out what my pace should be by looking at my heart rate (ugh, I've lost about 1:30/mile). What I'm not sure about is what mileage to start off with and what rate to increase. I did 3 miles today, and my legs felt like they could do more. I've been out for a little over 6 weeks. Before the injury I was running mileage in the low-mid 40s with a long run of 16 miles. I have a few years and a marathon under my belt for previous experience. Thanks for any suggestions.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

As for where to start, if you have had trouble already then start low and start slow. Take an extra couple of months to get back to where you were. From my own experience, I've basically gotten hurt as soon as my training got near 50 miles per week since I graduated college until this past Summer when I started regularly training on trails. Now I'm regularly running 50-60 (this week should be 70) miles per week. I try to keep on average around a third of my miles on trails. Just so much better for you. It might help you get back without reinjuring yourself. (For some good reasons to run trails now and again and some good basic advice, read Trail Running 101, a summary of a clinic I attended. You might also like some specific advice for road runners.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

twinmomrunner

I'm very interested too, as I hope to get clearance next week to start after my recent stress fracture. THis is the only schedule that I can find--are there others? does this make sense? it seems painfully slow!!! http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml As background...I was running around 60mpw (Pfitz plan), have done about four or five 60-90 minutr aerobic sessions per week while injured (biking, fast walking, elliptical), and have been off running for 4 weeks. I've successfully run in the 55 mpw territory several times before, but this was my first foray into 60+. And, since the physical therapists always want to remind me of my age, I'll admit that I'm 47. Thanks! (And sorry for a bit of a hijack).
          RunToWin: Thanks for the advice on the trails. When I first started coming back, I just went back to roads and sidewalks. I could still feel the injury... I wouldn't even call it discomfort, but a mild sense that it was there. It wasn't getting any worse, but not really any better either. Starting last week, I found some trails and dirt roads and have been doing the bulk of my runs on them. I was noticing the injury less and less. Yesterday I didn't feel it at all for the first time. The trail runs have really helped.

Lia's Daddy

It took me three attempts to come back from an injury I suffered in November. Each previous attempt resulted in a flair up of the injury (micro tear in the calf). Finally I listened to advice on here and more importantly, listened to my body. I started with a series of SLOW 3 mile runs with rest days in between. I am now back running 5 days a week and averaging about 30 miles per week. I think the difference is that I'm running SLOW. Did I mention that I'm running SLOW! In addition to running SLOW I have eliminated a long run from my weekly schedule for now. I have decided to just keep trying to build a base for the next couple of months. I think I will start adding some long runs in May.
            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
              Yeah, I've been keeping it slow in addition to the softer surfaces. I thinks that's a key part of recovery.

finney

Resident pinniped

No advice to offer you, just empathy. I was off for about a month due to displaced ribs. Popped 4 of them out at the articulation at my spine. I have never had pain like that, and I didn't know your diaphragm could spasm. So, I'm doing the "go back to the start" thing too. Really sucks. No