How much would you pay to race? (Read 1198 times)

Feeling the growl again

I've gotten pretty good at leveraging friends/family spread out across the country to cheapen the cost of racing.  For Boston this year, I cashed in frequent flier miles (from work trips, no cost to me to accumulate) and stayed with family more than happy for the chance to see me (walked back after the finish).  The total cost to me was registration fee and food.

I would pay quite a bit for the right race and experience, but I don't view running races far from home as vacations.  It takes too much away from the vacation part.  I am sure there are some races (Kona Ironman) where, if I did it, I would also wrap in a vacation.  However, as I have begun to run/train very poorly in the heat in recent years I don't think I'll ever do Kona.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thank you for all of your posts.  I'd been dreaming about this type of race since I was a kid, and only started realizing the possibility a couple of years ago (when I learned how to swim). 

I've been saving my "sports budget" money all summer (by not racing any other races), and I finally decided to do it.  Last night, I registered and paid a whopping $625 for a full Ironman (Houston, May, 2012).  Over the past year, I've realized that these Ironman races sell out quick, and I've been looking every week for the past 6 weeks making sure that the race wasn't sold out.  Finally, I took the plunge.  Now, when I finish, I'll accomplish the Ironman before my 40th birthday (the goal I had when I finished my first sprint triathlon in April 2009).

So now, over the next 37 weeks, I'll be working toward the goal of 12, 13 (or more) hours of racing. 

(By the way, fortunately, I'll be able to drive my bike to Houston without paying shipping costs.  No air flights.  Just entry fees, hotel, food, and gifts / memorabilia).  Likely, my wife and kids will come along and enjoy the Ironman production.  Hopefully, I'll be able to keep it under $1,500.

Anyway, thanks for your posts.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

The most I paid for an entry fee was probably about $400-$500 (dont remember exactly) to do Ironman Florida.

xhristopher

12, 13 (or more) hours of racing. 

It looks as if you'll be paying less per minute of racing than you would in a typical 5K. Plus, I've never seen a 5K tattoo.

It looks as if you'll be paying less per minute of racing than you would in a typical 5K. Plus, I've never seen a 5K tattoo.

I was thinking that, and had that in my message before I posted it, but I thought that I may have been "over-thinking" the decision, so I deleted it.

But, you are right.  The problem is that there are a ton of 5k's back to back to back Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

wildchild

Carolyn

Man, I feel like a cheapskate...  I don't think I've ever paid more than about $50 for a race.  I only race locally, though. My DH thinks it's crazy to spend any money at all on a race, since I can just run for free at home.  Roll eyes

Zoom-Zoom, check out the Balmoral Half Marathon in Scotland. It's held at Balmoral Castle (the queen's summer place).  When we were in Scotland a couple summers ago, I really wanted to run it, but it was the day after we landed and I thought I'd be pretty jet-lagged.  If I had run it, I wouldn't count the cost of the flight or rental car or lodging, as we were going to be there anyway.  The entry fee was only £26.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

You'll ruin your knees!

Plus, I've never seen a 5K tattoo.

... until now.

$250-300 highest race entry, have paid much, much more for the race experience... all of which have generated memories that will last a lifetime...(priceless...)  Would do it again in a heartbeat if I could.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I haven't qualified for Boston but if I did I would not run it.  I don't like crowds.  And before anyone mentions "the experience of running Boston", yeah OK, but the experience for me would be crossing the finishing line with a qualifying time anywhere.  I could spend a lot less than that on a race like the Monkey and meet just as many RA folks and would enjoy myself more.

MikeyMike:  I feel like I have heard this before.  Hmmm.  where could that have been. 

BTW - Just because you qualify for Boston does not mean you will be honored enough to allow them to take your hard earned money.  You will have to make it though the selection process.  Which takes only the best of the best. 

On my run this morning I was actually trying to figure out if I want to spend the money for Boston again.  It was about 2K for my wife and I last year.  It was an awesome moment and everyone I knew was watching which is cool.   Either way I lose here.  Go and I lose 2K and I gaurantee that it will not be as much fun as the first.  Don't go and I will dread not being there.  Dang you Boston.  No race will ever be as cool or special as that first Boston.  It was definatley worth it for the one time but the 2nd time hmmmmm

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

MikeyMike:  I feel like I have heard this before.  Hmmm.  where could that have been. 

BTW - Just because you qualify for Boston does not mean you will be honored enough to allow them to take your hard earned money.  You will have to make it though the selection process.  Which takes only the best of the best. 

On my run this morning I was actually trying to figure out if I want to spend the money for Boston again.  It was about 2K for my wife and I last year.  It was an awesome moment and everyone I knew was watching which is cool.   Either way I lose here.  Go and I lose 2K and I gaurantee that it will not be as much fun as the first.  Don't go and I will dread not being there.  Dang you Boston.  No race will ever be as cool or special as that first Boston.  It was definatley worth it for the one time but the 2nd time hmmmmm

You're saying everybody should squander the $2K once, eh?

Prince of Fatness

Um, yeah I know that, but I think that you missed my point.  Let's just say that if I never run Boston I'll be OK.

Not at it at all. 

Go and I lose 2K and I gaurantee that it will not be as much fun as the first.  Don't go and I will dread not being there.  Dang you Boston.  No race will ever be as cool or special as that first Boston.  It was definatley worth it for the one time but the 2nd time hmmmmm

I actually enjoyed Boston much more the second time than the first.  The logistics of a destination race tend to stress me out a bit.  The second time around I knew how everything worked, where to be when, all the neat stuff to do in the city etc., and I was much more able to relax and enjoy the weekend.  This is probably true of any race you do a second time but Boston certainly has an energy that, for me, is hard to top.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Um, yeah I know that, but I think that you missed my point.  Let's just say that if I never run Boston I'll be OK.

I usually do miss the point.  My point though is that someday you will qualify for the race.   Then you will sit back and have a talk with the wife. 

Potato Head:             Wow I can't believe I finally BQ'ed.  That was awesome.

Mrs Potato Head:     Oh spuds I knew you could do it.  I'm so proud of you! 

Potato Head:             Ahh thanks sweet potato you are the best support crew ever.

Mrs. Potato Head:    So what hotel are we staying at while we are in Boston?

Potato Head:             You mean I finally get to go to a Fenway park and watch a winner, unlike those crappy pirates.

Mrs Potato Head:     Oh silly.  For the Boston Marthon.  .

Potato Head:            What are you talking about?  I'm not running that race.

Mrs Potato Head:    WTH.  You ran all of those miles while I watched the small fries and I don't get a tripl to Boston!

Potato Head -          Whoa Whoa Whoa.  Don't be going getting yourself all boiled up, you know what that does to you.  Of course we are going to Boston.  I love you.

This is sort of what happened to me.  Made me rethink things.  It turned out to be a wise decision.  Besides it keeps everyone from asking.  Hey you qualifed for Boston when are you going to run it.  Then you just insert the conversation above with co-worker, mother, friends, guy who fills up the pop machine etc . . .

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Prince of Fatness

I usually do miss the point.  My point though is that someday you will qualify for the race.   Then you will sit back and have a talk with the wife. 

Potato Head:             Wow I can't believe I finally BQ'ed.  That was awesome.

Mrs Potato Head:     Oh spuds I knew you could do it.  I'm so proud of you! 

Potato Head:             Ahh thanks sweet potato you are the best support crew ever.

Mrs. Potato Head:    So what hotel are we staying at while we are in Boston?

Potato Head:             You mean I finally get to go to a Fenway park and watch a winner, unlike those crappy pirates.

Mrs Potato Head:     Oh silly.  For the Boston Marthon.  .

Potato Head:            What are you talking about?  I'm not running that race.

Mrs Potato Head:    WTH.  You ran all of those miles while I watched the small fries and I don't get a tripl to Boston!

Potato Head -          Whoa Whoa Whoa.  Don't be going getting yourself all boiled up, you know what that does to you.  Of course we are going to Boston.  I love you.

This is sort of what happened to me.  Made me rethink things.  It turned out to be a wise decision.  Besides it keeps everyone from asking.  Hey you qualifed for Boston when are you going to run it.  Then you just insert the conversation above with co-worker, mother, friends, guy who fills up the pop machine etc . . .

<sigh>

My wife probably doesn't know what or where Fenway Park is.  I am sure that she doesn't care.

You got one thing right, she is a great support crew.

My smallest fry is almost 22 years old.  No kids to watch.

I may take my wife to Boston someday, but it won't be to run the marathon.

There are friends and family members that know I run.  They care to a certain extent, but do I have a detailed conversation about my running with any of them?  No.  Boston rarely if ever has been brought up in a conversation with them.

I don't like crowds.  Oh wait, I said that before.

Yes I am cheap, but if I qualified and really wanted to run Boston I would scrounge up the money to do it.  I don't want to.

Does that cover everything?

Not at it at all. 

xor

There are friends and family members that know I run.  They care to a certain extent, but do I have a detailed conversation about my running with any of them?  No.  Boston rarely if ever has been brought up in a conversation with them.

Indeed.  Most of my nonrunner friends "care" to the extent that I'm the weird dude who runs a lot.  Boston comes up in conversation with them as a checklist thing.  "Have you run Boston?"  Whether the answer is yes or no, that's the extent of it.

Most people don't give a shit.  And really, why should they?  It's just running.  It happens to be my obsession (apparently) and I hope that I'm not "that guy" who doesn't read the room correctly and goes on and on about stuff while eyes roll back into heads.

Most people don't give a shit.  And really, why should they?  It's just running.  It happens to be my obsession (apparently) and I hope that I'm not "that guy" who doesn't read the room correctly and goes on and on about stuff while eyes roll back into heads.

and they sure can't see paying alot of cash to go run a race. (yet they probably spend the same/more on whatever they do for enjoyment)

Get off my porch