Need opinions from experienced runners... (Read 1186 times)

OK, I am set to complete my first HM next Sunday in Phoenix. I am running the St Louis HM (April 6th) and Lincoln HM (May 4th) also. I am running about 30-35 miles a week and am addicted to running. Would it be a good idea for me to run the San Diego Marathon on June 1st? I really want to run a Full but don't know if that will be over doing it. Also, I am positive I will be running the Chicago Full Marathon in October. Any opinions would be great. Thanks
    keep running!

Rim Rock Dad

You might be pushing it, it really depends on your health, and hw your body reacts to that kind of punishment. You may want to wait after maybe the second half to see if you feel like you can do it. I hope you can do it. That would be great!
      James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
      Go Daddy

Current state: At 30-35/week, a half would be a good long training run. Doing these at least four weeks apart should not be a problem. Opportunity state: You actually you have six months to prep for San Diego. Phoenix, St. Louie and Lincoln would be training runs during your prep for the full. On a 30-35 base there are several training plans on-line that can get you to 26.2 in six months. There are a couple marathon threads hear that can help you create a plan. Good Luck and stay healthy (unlike the Hawks)
          I am running the St Louis HM (April 6th)
          I have no answer to your question (sorry), but I'll be running the full in St. Louis. See you there!!! Sara
            I would absolutely, positively, unequivocally, without a doubt, certainly, and without hesitation recommend that you not run a marathon in June. And if you want an even longer answer, here is a thread I started on Kickrunners. I'm not sure if you have to sign up to read it, but here it is just in case: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum//showthread.php?t=17424 Good luck at Phoenix! P.S. I'm not peddling KR. I like them all and RA is one of the better ones.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Member Since 2008

Patrick, This is a question you need to ask yourself after the first HM. Only you know what you can put your body through. You are young and can recover fast, yet I would be very reluctant to run a marathon in June after the half in April and May. I would start training for the marithon in March, skip the May HM and run the marathon in June. If you start buliding up your long runs as early as March, the HM in April will be alot easier.

Normally, my question would be how long you've been running, but looking at your training log and your profile, I have to recommend against it. You are only 17 years old, and you probably aren't done growing yet. I personally wouldn't recommend racing over a half mary, and wouldn't recommend easy training runs over 15 miles for at least a couple of years. I ran my first marathon my junior year in college, about a month before I turned 21, and my second marathon wasn't until I was almost 24. I ran similar mileage to you when I was in high school, bumped that mileage up to the mid-60s the summer between high school and college, and then immiediately jumped into an 85 mile week my first week there (I missed a few runs due to freshman obligations.) After that, I was running 95-105 miles per week, and averaged 85 miles per week over the next two years including off seasons. My feet grew right before I went to college, which had always been followed by a few inches in height (I was really premature and was told by the doctors to expect to keep growing until I was in my early mid-20s) but I never got those inches. I was eating less and put on 10 pounds of muscle in my first 3 months. One of my college teammates who is a few years younger than I am waited until he was 23 or 24 to run his first marathon. He ran a 2:39. We can't convince him to run another one until he's 26, he says. I don't think that you need to wait that long, but I definitely advise against running one at 17 or 18. If you do run a marathon in the next few years, then I recommend only doing one and waiting until post-college to start running them regularly. Are you planning to run in college? Because my guess is that you will be too busy training for 8k or 10k races to really think about running a marathon anyway. That will build a great base for a post-collegiate run at the distance though.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You might be a running machine, but how does this fit with the rest of your life? I think there's a couple of things you might want to evaluate, other than your running, to make this decision. You're obviously a smart kid seeking out advice so here are the things I'd tell you to consider: How's the schoolwork coming? Does my family support this? Do my friends think I'm nuts? Does my coach think I'm nuts? Am I losing friends because I am prioritizing running? Can I still do everything else I want to do? Am I constantly tired and/or cranky and/or hungry? Does everything else I need to get done get done? Is everything that's not running working? This could be one of those things someone makes a heroic movie about after it's over or a tragic mistake or just some sort of crappy experience that's nothing to write home about that leaves you ambivalent. Do what feels right, not just with your body, but with your mind too. Running is a whole mind-body thing. It all has to work together to feel as good as it does now.
                  2008 Goals
                • Run 1250 miles
                • Get down to 135!
                • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                  • You haven't even run your first half marathon yet and you are talking about a full? Step back, catch your breath and concentrate on training for your half so you can run it (them) to the absolute best of your ability. If you decide that you like this long distance running thing, set your sights on a full marathon next year. Marathon training is tough. It's hard on your body (especially a still developing 17 year old body) and it takes tremendous commitment in time and energy. Wait until you can give it your full attention. Tom

...---...

Dude - you might want to go see your family doctor. Talk to him/her about this and maybe a physical to get cleared for this kind of training. If your doctor clears you, then go for it! The only advice I would give you, other than that, if you do it, is not to set a time goal. Just go do the thing at a realistic pace. All kinds of people in here have told me not to go my first marathon later this year...they based this on knowing nothing more than what they saw in my log ...which is a post cycling injury schedule only 3 months old. NEVER let anyone discourage you from acheiving your goals.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

el Jeffe

Well this is probably the most unconventional opinion, but I say go for it. Just do whatever it takes to stay injury free. Listen to your body. 6 months from now is a lot of time to get in shape, especially when you are already in shape. Here's a testimonial: I have completed 3 marathons now, and I have yet to train for one. I ran my first one in 3:38, 2 weeks after doing a 10km on a dare. I didn't run a half first or anything like that. 10km was my previous longest distance, and I survived just fine. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea not to follow a proper running plan, I'm just saying I felt compelled to do it just like you and I lived to tell about it. Also back in November in Seattle I saw a much younger kid (14 or so?) keeping pace with my 1:35 half marathon, and I've seen a younger girl (13ish?) than even that running a 1:40 BMO Vancouver Half Marathon. Running is an individual thing and I would listen to opinions and take advice from experienced runners but ultimately you should listen to yourself to make your calls. If you are honestly telling yourself you can do it, then you can. That said, I'm going to be actually training for my next one in May because I want to BQ and need to get 20 minutes faster. My program is only 4 months long. I've always just ran to run and I never really paid much attention to what is supposedly the proper way to do it. If you really, really wanted to run, I would say just do it. Just another view on things...

Dave

This is certainly a controversial subject. I googled a bit and found this article. http://www.hillrunner.com/training/thoughts/firstmarathon.php When I was about that age, I was heavily into cycling. That might be an outlet for you if you want to do serious distance/effort with a lower risk of injury. I did several 100 mile efforts on the bicycle (and one over 150) before I was 17. You will hear all kinds of stories about people who ran marathons without what others would consider adequate training. Some of those people (like Jeff in the previous post) may be blessed with tremendous natural ability. You may or may not be as fortunate.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree with Blaine (RuntoWin). My son, 15, would LOVE to run a marathon, but his high school coach said the same things that Blaine did. Why rush into a marathon at your age and risk hurting your long-term career? You are in this for the long haul, I would imagine, so plan that way! In 8th grade, DS ran (non-stop) a 20-mile Habitat for Humanity WALK without telling us. The high school coach said that wasn't a good idea, but that's when we knew that DS might be meant to be a long-distance runner! Isn't there a high school coach you can talk to about all of this? Our coach is very specific about the distances runners should do each year. Good luck! That's great you love running so much.
                              Wow, thanks for all of the responses everyone...this is why this forum is so helpful. I guess my excitement of planning out the year's events is getting me a little ahead of myself, for I haven't even completed my half. To answer some of the questions asked to help evaluate further, I feel great when running. I have always been in good shape (playing all kinds of sports). Running is only effecting my life positively. The only things that could interfere with training are one hockey team (season over in April) and two indoor soccer teams (season over in march). I'm practically free from school work (one semester of HS to go and have been accepted into DePaul next year). I know that a lot of articles say that you will see improvement come fast as you start and then it will kind of level out, which could happen anytime because since I started running in July 07, I have only seen improvement. Up to 10 mile LR from not being able to run 3 without a huge challenge. I did not know that it is so advised against running marathons at my age in fear of messing with growth. Not that it makes too much of a difference but I turn 18 next Sunday. After all of your responses, I am thinking against it now. (Good thing I asked because I just about registered the other night) That brings me to my next question; with the whole age thing, should I run the Chicago Full Marathon? As long as I keep up with my training, there is no question I will be able to complete it but is it safe? Thanks in advance!
                              keep running!
                              Mitochondriac

OK, I am set to complete my first HM next Sunday in Phoenix. I am running the St Louis HM (April 6th) and Lincoln HM (May 4th) also. I am running about 30-35 miles a week and am addicted to running. Would it be a good idea for me to run the San Diego Marathon on June 1st? I really want to run a Full but don't know if that will be over doing it. Also, I am positive I will be running the Chicago Full Marathon in October. Any opinions would be great. Thanks
                                Go for it. The worst that will happen is that you will get injured. That will heal, and you will have learned a lesson. The best that will happen is that you will have a great time, and be living life to the fullest.