Couple of map Elevation Requests. (Read 730 times)

Thomas.garnick

This is by far the most comprehensive and user-friendly running log I have found to date. A couple of the minor things that would be nice little added features. 1. I’m sure your familiar with runstoppable.com, well on their route planning mode the route has arrow’s to show which direction you are currently routing this helps allot for courses that are windy or cross over them selves 2. Elevation graph allows you to scroll over it and it shows you exactly where on the course the elevation changes are so when you are planning a route you can graphically see on what road the hill is actually on. 3. In the course summary next to total distance maybe a new column for total elevation change for the course. I love your sight thus far and appreciate all the work you guys have done.
    Thomas.garnick

Sorry to jump the gun a couple of other minor requests. 1. On the course editor possibly larger maps to allow for easier route creation A. Possible full screen mode on the maps. 2. When you enter the location the map automatically centers on this location so you dont have to guess and then zoom in. 3. Save starting location points. 4. Chaining routes together 5. When you scroll over any portion of the course give the exact distance at that point.
      eric :)

Hi Thomas, Thank you for the suggestions. One of the reason to upgrade my development tools was to better support Google maps development. I'll add your requests when I create the next version of the mapping tool. eric Smile
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One thing that I have often craved is the ability to cut up a course, or just rotate the start/stop location for a course that loops (i.e., starts and stops at the same place). So for a course around a clock face, starting and ending at 12, if I wanted to move the start/end to 3 oclock, I could do it without deleting and redrawing a lot of spots. Does this make sense?

Clearly, Dr. Trent, you're in need of a new job if you have all this time to post. May I suggest an internship at RA? Maybe you can design the next generation of the mapping tool? Do you mean you want to move the the starting/finishing points only on a circular route, as opposed to rotating the entire route? You may reply and have your name on all forums again.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm on vacation right now Big grin Waiting for the fam to get up. If I move the start and finish (together) on a circular route, would that not be the same thing as rotating the route?

I'm on vacation right now Big grin Waiting for the fam to get up. If I move the start and finish (together) on a circular route, would that not be the same thing as rotating the route?
                With your example, yes, it is equivalent. However, how often will you be creating a perfectly circular route?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I used the circle as an example. It can be blob-shaped or square or whatever. The point is that it starts and finishes in the same place, and then I want to move the start/finish to another location on the route. To do that right now I have to delete and recreate a bunch of spots. Another example is that I have a running route around a park road. Sometimes I start at one park entrance and other times I start at another entrance. This change alters the perceived difficulty of the course and so I want maps for each. Rather than clicking out the entire map, it would be nice if I could just change the start/end location from one entrance to another.

I need to redo the mapping code anyway. I'll see what I can do then.