HIIT or MAF? (Read 1201 times)

UpNorth

I'll second Cynthia's post and add that you can also get a great hiit-type workout with body-weight movements and light barbell work. For example if you have access to a barbell try 5 sets of 6 repetitions for each movement of: deadlift bent over row hang clean and press back squat good mornings Do each movement one after another. So 6 deadlifts followed immediately by 6 rows, etc. After each set rest 30-60 seconds. ... or try some Tabata protocol movements (Tabatas are 20 seconds of "work" followed by 10 seconds of rest): 4 sets of pushups 4 sets of body weight squats 4 sets of pullups 4 sets of lunges So in the routine above you would do 20 seconds of as many pushups as possible followed by 10 seconds of recovery. You'd repeat that 4 times then proceed immediately to the squats. Either of those will send your heart-rate though the roof. Just remember to err on the safe-side and never push beyond your limits. Jeff
      Alright, thanks to all of you for your advice. After doing a good bit of reading and consideration of everything that was said here, I will hold of on the HIIT and stay in a base building mode. I will add some quicker running that the totally sub-MAF running that I'm doing now. Thanks in particular to runner92, Tchuck, va and clhagan. Your thorough and specific replies combined with your personal experiences helped address all the questions that I had. I will also do my best to backload my workouts into the log here so that it will be of some use for any future help I might need.
      Brandon
      runningsharp

Hi Cynthia, I am very interested in the combination of weight training and HIIT. Could you please post a sample week of combining your weight workouts with HIIT and the one time a week run that you do. I am mostly interested in the timing of them, for instance do you do HIIT on the same day as lifting do you do it the day before the day after? Recovery time is always an issue when you are lifting heavier weights. I really like weight lifting especially on my legs but I have a very difficult time mixing it with a lot of running. Currently I am pregnant so I am just doing low heart rate runnning and weight training, the weights haven't been an issue because my mileage is not that high. (16-19 miles a week done on a treadmill). But after the baby is born (#4) and I am back to my workouts, I plan to focus more on weight training and HIIT to get rid of my pregnancy weight and get past the set point I hit before I got pregnant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Lisa