This is what it's ALL about, folks! (Read 652 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tonite I had the PERFECT run! For so many reasons...brand new shoes (NB 857--to alternate with my similar 1222s), first run in '07 in a skirt, beautiful weather, body ready to go fast--even though it was an easy run...felt effortless. But the BEST part of tonite's run.... Many of you have seen that I am doing fundraising for Girls On The Run. Tonite I happened upon a group of 15 or so "tween" girls--many in matching pale blue NB shoes. Beautiful, happy, fit, friendly, fun-loving young ladies. I stopped as they came to the bottom of a little hill on the path I was on and asked if they were training for GOTR--they were. I then proudly told them and their coach that I was raising money for the very organization that they were participating in. THEY proudly told ME that they have a race on May 19. I could not be more excited for these girls. I'm hoping I can go watch the race and cheer them on--they deserve the support and I hope each and every one of them keeps running and/or participating in sports. I ran along with them for a couple of blocks until they turned-around and I got to chat with a couple of the girls. One girl noticed my iPod and told me how much she loved it--I replied that it was a Christmas gift from my hubby as a reward for my own hard work running. I told the girls how much I liked their shoes. Last year's GOTR shoes were really hideous (pink and purple). This season's shoes are so much more attractive--pale blue & white and not nearly so cutesy--these are serious-looking shoes for girls who are serious about becoming fantastic runners! I usually run in the AM while my son is in school. Had I not had a doctor's appt. this AM I would have missed out on such an inspiring moment in my running. I was already having a really great run, but "running into" these girls left me with a silly grin on my face for the remaining 2 miles. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great story!!! Big grin
      2009: BQ?
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Very nice story. The funny thing is that as thrilled as you were to meet those girls, I can only imagine how thrilled they must have been to meet you -- a real-life runner raising money for their program. Probably also thrilling for them to discover the perks of being a grown-up runner -- fancy new shoes, an iPod, and umm, err running skirts! Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I never even thought of that! Though meeting up with those girls did remind me what a bad rep kids that age get. Back in my subbing days I really liked middle schoolers--they weren't yet too angsty (9th and 10 grades were the ages I loathed). The girls I encountered last night were bubbly and really enjoying themselves. Next year my schedule (with DS in school full days) will hopefully allow me to do some direct volunteer work with the organization. I'd really like to help coach. I'm still in a good mood from last night's run. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

That's awesome.

Runners run

mbk

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's an article about GOTR from the local paper: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-girlsrun_26wes.ART.West.Edition1.4302ddd.html
                Oh, thanks for posting that--what a great piece! I hope in the coming years that GOTR develops an even bigger presence. I think it's still relatively new in our area, but I'm eager to see more girls taking part in the program. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

That is so cool! I have 2 girls so I really appreciate programs such as these. (I just visited your page)
                  Elena
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Elena--thanks a ton for your donation! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay