A men's eating disorder (Read 374 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Excessive supplement use: A new eating disorder for men

This doesn't come as a surprise to me, but it's about time it's being recognized.

kilkee

runktrun

I also, anecdotally, know of a lot of women who have shifted their obsessive focus on restricting calories to ingesting the precise amount and types of supplements.  Same disordered obsession...  Food and fueling yourself should not be stressful.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Mmmmm...beer

Not surprising, I know more than a few people who probably fall into this category.  From my own personal experience being a former fat guy, it can be difficult to not fall into that trap of constantly pursuing the "perfect" body.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I also, anecdotally, know of a lot of women who have shifted their obsessive focus on restricting calories to ingesting the precise amount and types of supplements.  Same disordered obsession...  Food and fueling yourself should not be stressful.

Right, it's stressful and expensive as well.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The article struck a chord with me because I have a FB friend who is a bodybuilder and frequently posts photos of men (sometimes women) that evoke high praise from their group, but to my eye are just pathologically, bizarrely "built."  Creepy, almost nauseating.  I imagine it's closely related to anorexia.

JimR

You guys just ruined this bowl of Hydroxycut I was going to have for supper

#artbydmcbride

((JimR))   have a sammich instead!

Runners run

NHLA

When I was going to a PT I could not believe the people who tried to give me drugs. It happened 2-3 times a week.

I don't know why they thought I would take them. I think its part of that culture.

Other patients? Like what? pain killers, muscle relaxers, weed, valium? Shoulda taken them up on the weed, leave that other stuff alone.

running metalhead

A men eating disorder? 

In my country we call this cannibalism Smile

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

JanaLamb

Right, it's stressful and expensive as well.

I totally agree with you. It becomes even more stressful because they're trying to achieve the perfect body and spending so much on it, which should not be the case.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Kalsarikännit

A men eating disorder? 

In my country we call this cannibalism Smile

In our country we call that Hall and Oates.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I can't go for that!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Joann Y

I can't go for that!

Thanks for the earworm. Thank goodness there's at least another 14-15 hours left in the day for me to enjoy it.

bhearn

Not surprising, I know more than a few people who probably fall into this category.  From my own personal experience being a former fat guy, it can be difficult to not fall into that trap of constantly pursuing the "perfect" body.

Wait, you're saying it's a trap?