Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

jpdeaux

Here it is a couple days before Boston and my Garmin is acting up. Ugh, I've got to use my iPhone again.

Talk about first world problems...

Bring your Garmin to the Garmin booth at the Expo. My 405 band is broken and today when I asked about it at the Garmin booth, they said they'd fix it for me. Gratis. I'm volunteering at the shirt tables on Saturday so I'll bring it over then. Free is cool.

marcomarcomarco

#9706...goal was 3:19:59...now, not sure

Feeling the growl again

#9706...goal was 3:19:59...now, not sure

My advice, having run heat as bad/worse as is predicted, is to throw the time goal out the window and run by effort.  Save yourself some misery, get yourself a much higher place by running smarter than the bulk of the runners.  Stay to the side, take advantage of the locals who will likely be handing out extra water along the course.  I only drank from aid stations, but kept myself soaking wet the whole race.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

I would suggest if you see a man wearing a trash bag on an 80 degree day, you take a big step away from him.  (I believe this is generally good advice and not marathon specific).

+5 for Hufflepuff.

xhristopher

Bring your Garmin to the Garmin booth at the Expo. My 405 band is broken and today when I asked about it at the Garmin booth, they said they'd fix it for me. Gratis. I'm volunteering at the shirt tables on Saturday so I'll bring it over then. Free is cool.

If only the problem was consistent I'd show them. It freezes and looses charge, not necessarily in that order, or on demand. Plus, I'm not going to the expo until Sunday afternoon. Perhaps I'll wear it around like a crazy runner guy and keep an eye on it over the weekend. If it busts Monday morning I'll probably have some sort of hissy fit then accidentally run my first mile about 8 minutes faster than planned. 

MTA: Garmin only turns on after trying reset multiple times. If left off dock battery dies. Argh.

Queen of 3rd Place

Waking up to a lovely morning in Fresno, no doubt we'll have a beautiful vista of snow-capped mountains and clean-air running conditions this weekend - these are the days all of us love living here. Meanwhile, there's a predicted 87 in Boston for Monday. Yuck. Despite this, I'm still thrilled to be going, it really is a dream come true. That's what it's all about. 

Have fun, everyone!

Ex runner

xor

Yeah, if that's the spread-out version of the expo, I would have lost my mind at the smashed-together version.  Lucky for me, I was there when they opened... no crowd.  But I hung around too long and... crowd. 

I stupidly packed the day that the forecast read "high 64" and even though I figured it was fictional, I forgot all the Hawai'ian gear... no sunglasses, no visor, no singlet, no wristband.  I'm SOL on the sunglasses (prescription and I don't wear contacts). The expo fixed me up with some of the rest.  But oddly, no pink XL singlets.  Not much in the way of XL clothes at all.  This ain't no RnR expo.

So I will either find a Sports Authority-type place or I will be very incognito Monday in white.  Or I will wear the pink short sleeve I have.

I also packed black shoes.  WTH.  Yes, I own a pair of black shoes.  They are almost done, so I think my logic was "I'll put 40 miles in them this weekend and toss them".  Let's see how much I cook my feet.

Edited to add: I did, however, remember to pack a rain jacket.  Of course I did.

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Doc, my tooth hurts

Wow that sucks. Not only do you not get a refund, you would have to pay AGAIN.  If I were running it, I would just treat it as a "fun run" and if I DNF'd oh well. I can't see many people taking them up on this.

HermosaBoy

Wow that sucks. Not only do you not get a refund, you would have to pay AGAIN.  If I were running it, I would just treat it as a "fun run" and if I DNF'd oh well. I can't see many people taking them up on this.

Especially after all the money you spend on travel and airfare (both years?)...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Yeah this is certainly a blow to those who had plans for a PR attempt at Boston, but since you're already paid and in most cases also have sunken travel costs, I can't see taking a deferral.  Just slow down and "enjoy" the experience.

I wish I'd been around to give myself that advice in 2004 when we had similar weather to what's being forecast, and the start was still noon back then.  I waited too long (about 10 miles in) to abandon all hopes of a PR and by then it was way, way too late.  I spent some time in the med-tent that day but only out of my own stupidity.  Don't do that.

Runners run

xor

Also from the statement: "In addition, the finish line will stay open until 6:00 p.m., an hour later than usual, to encourage slower runners to take their time and run safely."

I realize that won't make people who Go For It magically slow down, but it is a great thing to try.  Way better than Grandmas "hey, we're just gonna cancel the thing that morning" or my favorite, the Wisconsin/Illinois/Indiana strategy: "we plan on randomly closing the course during the race, giving extra incentive to folks to try to speed the hell up so they finish before we randomly close... except that will just likely hurt them more".

Also: random Schneider Family sighting while running.  I ran a mile with the Mrs and waved at the Mr.

The good news?  weather.com projects 86 for 3p, but the "feels like" is only 84.  Cool.

Julia1971

Yeah, if that's the spread-out version of the expo, I would have lost my mind at the smashed-together version.  Lucky for me, I was there when they opened... no crowd.  But I hung around too long and... crowd. 

I stupidly packed the day that the forecast read "high 64" and even though I figured it was fictional, I forgot all the Hawai'ian gear... no sunglasses, no visor, no singlet, no wristband.  I'm SOL on the sunglasses (prescription and I don't wear contacts). The expo fixed me up with some of the rest.  But oddly, no pink XL singlets.  Not much in the way of XL clothes at all.  This ain't no RnR expo.

So I will either find a Sports Authority-type place or I will be very incognito Monday in white.  Or I will wear the pink short sleeve I have.

I also packed black shoes.  WTH.  Yes, I own a pair of black shoes.  They are almost done, so I think my logic was "I'll put 40 miles in them this weekend and toss them".  Let's see how much I cook my feet.

Edited to add: I did, however, remember to pack a rain jacket.  Of course I did.

I packed some crazy stuff, too.  The silliest: cheese.  Yep, I packed cheese.  I like to snack on cheese and crackers.  What if there's no cheese in Boston?  (And, I'm probably still going to eat it even though it was unrefrigerated for 5 hours).  Coming in for a close second: an empty Deer Park water bottle for race day.  Clearly, I think Boston is some third world country or something.

I got the deferral email while I was sitting in the airport terminal, so...  Not that I would have taken it.  But I am going to pick up some packets for some friends back home that are bagging it.  So, does this mean it'll be even harder to get into Boston next year - deferrals taking up slots and tightened standards?

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

"and official entrants must claim their bib number packets at the John Hancock Sports and Fitness Expo through Sunday evening at the Seaport World Trade Center in South Boston."

Wait, so if you want to defer you have to go to boston anyway? 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7