Swollen tongue (Read 1143 times)

Here's one- I've got a swollen tongue! *Poof* out of the blue tonight! I thought maybe it was an allergic reaction but nothing else seems to be happening. I keep whacking it with my teeth because it's in the way! How weird is this!!?? Thooda hurd me tryin' tuh read bedthyme thories to my kidths tonight. *Ack*
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eek, is it having any affect on your breathing? Have you ever had this before? That would freak me out (though your description of reading to your kids is cracking me up!). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could it be any of these things? k

~ Sarah Kay

Could it be any of these things? k
          Oh geez. I was freaking out a little but just give me 41 more reasons to do it! Big grin Thith hath never happened before. If I don't posth in a couple of dayth, pleasth come & look for me.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes! I'd definitely get to a doctor...if not an urgent care place. I still recommend Dr. Schaub. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, you OK? Let us know! k

~ Sarah Kay

My 5 year old's bottom lip swells if he eats dark choc. nonpareils with red and green sprinkles, but not the white ones. Time makes his lip go back to normal...oh, we do avoid the colored ones now. Any changes yet?

Michelle

I live! Big grin Boy that was strange. If there'd been a hint of any other symptom, I would have gone somewhere, but that's all that happened! All that's left are two kinda raw areas on the sides of my tongue where it kept hitting my teeth...which hurts. I'm thinking it's some sort of allergic reaction but I have no idea what to. I ate nothing weird. Michelle, has your son been tested for allergies ever? My son's allergic to eggs peanuts and mildly to milk. Most that's ever happened to him, luckily, is a rash on his chin and throwing up (when the daycare gave him peanutbutter and eggs all within hours of each other...arrrr!) So, he's not highly allergic but he does have reactions. My other son has been tested and found to be allergic to nothing. When he eats Berry Burst Cheerios, though, his neck and face break out in a rash. They think it may be the dye in the strawberries. Needless to say, we don't eat that anymore!!
                    I guess you'll have to chalk that one up to as cross contamination of some sort, since you weren't aware of eating anything new or odd. I once ate a moldy tastycake (didn't see the mold until eating the second cupcake) and I broke out in hives later. I'm allergic to Pennicillian (sp?), so I'm guessing there is a relation to the mold and the hives. I react to raw mushrooms (burns my mouth and throat), but not cooked. Human bodies are too complex. My youngest is our allergy child, the older three have no allergies at all. He's not allergic to foods that we know of but he is REALLY allergic to anything with fur. We've been ambulanced a few times thanks to his reactions to cats. Almost had to take helicoptor once (I about lost my mind that day). His reaction to foods is limited to the nonpareils experience. Unless we have just been blind to something. I feel for parents of children with true food allergies. The stress of going anywhere must be huge. I have a friend with two children allergic to eggs and peanuts...and another friend's daughter is allergic to wheat.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What meds are you on, if any?
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have a friend whose DD is so violently allergic to peanuts that she can't even be in a room where someone else has eaten peanut products. Poor kid. It's very scary for them. I am SO thankful that none of us seems to have any serious food allergies, particularly to something so common and TASTY as peanuts. I think I *might* have a shrimp allergy, but my reactions have been so random that I don't know if it's the shrimp or maybe some chemical preservative. k

~ Sarah Kay

What meds are you on, if any?
                          Just synthroid! And now I'm taking iron and zinc because I'm low. But that's it.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Synthroid is usually fairly safe from the standpoint of allergies. Could be something you ate. I would go get allergy tested.
                              Synthroid is usually fairly safe from the standpoint of allergies. Could be something you ate. I would go get allergy tested.
                              Yeah, probably something food related. I can't imagine what else it'd be. Would an external allergen ( touching something or inhaling something) give a reaction to the body like that at all? I know when I'm around pine trees my arms swell up and itch if I touch the pine. I have been tested recently, including the common food allergens (the reason I got tested again...never had foods done), but wasn't found allergic to anything except cats. Funny thing is, when I was tested the time before that, which was quite a long time ago...years...they listed all of these allergens like mold, dust, ragweed, pine, etc. that I was allergic to along with cats. My seasonal allergies have never stopped, so I'm not sure how suddenly I could not be allergic to *anything*. But, for the $200+ I had to pay to get tested, it wasn't anything I was planning on heading out the door to do too soon again. I would if I started having more problems of course...