St. Jude's Marathon (Read 524 times)

I am running my first marathon on Dec 1 in Memphis. Has anyone done this race before? I have completed many other small races, and lots of tri's. Wanted to do a marathon before tackling training for a full ironman. I did my first half ironman in May 2006 (Florida).
      I am doing it for the first time this year as well, but know a lot of people in my running group who have done it in the past 2 years. In fact they loved it so much that they are going back this year as well. I hear it is a great course without any significant hills. Many of the runners came close or set a PR. In fact on marathonguide.com the only complaints are about the camber in the road during the second half of the run. A large group of us are going down so I am really looking forward to it.
      run26dave@gmail.com GoogleTalk: run26dave
        Yeah we are getting there on Friday early afternoon, and then leaving on the Sunday. They changed the course for this year, according to the website.

My dogs are fast, not me

I'm doing the half, not the full, but that area of downtown is fairly flat. My boss has run it before and says it can be a bit lonely on some parts of the course with limited crowd support.

Robin

Let's hope that isn't the case this year...
              Let's hope that isn't the case this year...
                dave, we are from the same city.
                  Really?? Louisville as well huh? Where do you normally run? I usually can be found in the highlands around fleet feet. What a small world. Are you going to Memphis with a group of people? Should be a fun time, looking forward to celebrating after the race as well. We will be staying downtown luckily so close to the start/finish area.
                    I normally hit Seneca/Cherokee early Saturday mornings. I typically walk a decent pace and jog when necessary. I started running with Fleet Feet in 2003 when DJX did it and have kept with it. I'm going down with my sister and parents. My sister is doing it, this will be her 2nd marathon. Our folks are driving which will be nice. I think we are staying downtown too, but can't remember it off the top of my head.
                      Finishing that first marathon is one great feeling of accomplishment, so I hope you have a great run and we have some good weather. I still run at Fleet Feet on Saturdays and usually douglas loop area during the week with a group. We have about 20 runners going down. Sounds like you guys will be busy, but your more than welcome to meet up with us that night, we always enjoy meeting fellow runners and trading what I hope will be good running stories from the race.